[IaWA] Advantage dice question

Started by Alan, February 22, 2008, 08:41:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan

Hi again Vincent,

Advantage dice. It's clear from the text that an advantage dice bought from the Owe list is kept until the end of a conflict, but I find a clue in the text that advantage dice from winning a round might be swapped back and forth.

Top of page 17:
"The third round:
We take up our dice. I pass you the advantage die."

Is this an artifact of past versions or what you intend? It's not summarized explicitly on page 23.
- Alan

A Writer's Blog: http://www.alanbarclay.com

lumpley

Whoever wins round 1 gets an advantage die for round 2. Whoever wins round 2 gets an advantage die for round 3. If you win round 1 but lose round 2, yes, exactly, you pass the advantage die over to the winner.

-Vincent

WildElf

This doesn't really fit the OP, but it does fit the title, so I'll try bumping this first:

What happens when you have more than one winner?

So, you have A, B, and C.  A goes first. B answers and loses, but not doubled. A gets the advantage for next round. B answered, so is skipped. C goes and B answers and loses, but not doubled. C should get an Advantage Die, but A has one.

Do they both get it? Does A because they won first, or C because they won last? Or perhaps no one gets it?

Assuming they both get it, what if, in round 2, C decides to go against A, C wins.  Does C take A's die and have two advantage dice (assuming B didn't get a win against C)?

lumpley

1. Everybody who wins in round 1, gets an advantage die in round 2. Everybody who wins in round 2, gets an advantage die in round 3. The advantage dice from round 1 wins do not carry over to round 3.

2. You can never have more than one advantage die, no matter how many times you win in a round. Exception: you can buy one advantage die from the owe list.

So: Do A and C both get an advantage die for round 2? yes. Does C get two advantage dice for round 3? no.

I see that the language in the book about one player passing a die to the other is misleading. If you would, read it instead that the first player drops the die back into the bowl, and the second player takes a die out of the bowl. You win advantage dice from the bowl, not from another player. (If that's confusing, ignore it, just go by my 1 and 2 above.)

-Vincent

Ry

If I go first, win my action, but somenoe else acts against me and I lose that, I don't get the advantage die, in round 2, right?

lumpley

You, me, Mitch. You punch me in the face, win. Ow! Mitch punches you in the face, wins. I don't get a go.

In round 2, you roll an advantage die for punching me in the face and winning. Mitch rolls an advantage die for punching you in the face and winning. I do not roll an advantage die.

-Vincent

Ry

Damn.  I've been playing wrong, and now my players' strategizing will be different. 
So any win during round 1 grants advantage in round 2.  Any win in round 2 grants advantage in round 3.

Valvorik

eeep, 4 here have been playing wrong too!

Rob

lumpley

Quote from: Ryan Stoughton on March 19, 2008, 05:40:55 PM
So any win during round 1 grants advantage in round 2.  Any win in round 2 grants advantage in round 3.
Exactly.

If you've been playing it wrong, it's affected your fine-grained strategizing, but I can't imagine it's had any effect on your play overall.

The game has some significant rules, where if you play THEM wrong, you're playing the game wrong. The small-scale details of just precisely how advantage dice work? More or less arbitrary. I went with what seemed self-evident to me, and I stand behind them as perfectly good. Other ways, ways that might seem more self-evident to you, might be perfectly good too. I have no reason to think otherwise.

Whether you want to change the way you're playing from one perfectly good way to the perfectly good way that I thought of, is your call.

-Vincent