[IaWA] Rules question: forces of nature as NPCs?

Started by Paul T, November 17, 2008, 03:19:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul T

I have feeling this might have been covered before, but I can't seem to find it:

Does/would it make sense to represent some powerful abstract force in the setting as an NPC?

In IaWA, characters basically have as much power as they want to do whatever they like in the setting, until they come up against another character who has dice to roll against them.

So, if you have a setting with some kind of powerful force that threatens people, would it make sense to stat it up as an NPC, so that PCs could roll dice against its effects?

I'm thinking of things like:

* An enormous, nasty storm
* A sea monster that attacks ships entering the harbour
* A powerful, ancient curse
* A swarm of insects that guards the tomb
* The castle is overgrown with magical brambles, which keep anyone from escaping
* A labyrinth

Is representing such stuff as an NPC a good idea? If so, is there anything to watch out for, hidden dangers of doing this?

Thanks!

Paul

Paul T

Really? Nobody? Shucks.

Maybe an additional/related question will help:

Do you ever create new NPCs in play (i.e. once you've started the chapter)? I was thinking about this, because new NPCs (like the Forces of Nature I mention in this thread) created in play won't always have Best Interests, and that could put the resolution system in danger. Though I don't see why it would.

Brand_Robins

I create NPCs in play from time to time. I generally assume that one of their best interests is something tied to the situation that is generating them. Like, if you're trying to kill the king and I make up a bodyguard, I assume its in his best interest that the king not die. Honestly though, I probably write that down well after the fact, and just play the character straight up at the start. Everyone that's got humanity has interests, and so it usually becomes clear enough what they are once they're being played.

This has never caused any issue in game.

As for forces of nature as NPCs, I've never done it. I've had storms caused by particular strengths, and sea monsters that were used as color (like, a conflict to see who could save the dingus from going down with the ship when the sea monster was ravaging it), but I've never made such a thing an NPC. To me its just never felt right, as characters in IaWA generally have strong personal interests and interactions, and forces of nature generally don't.

Now, if you're doing a more animist world, or a world of small gods, then I might do that as a force of nature. Like it isn't a storm, it's Xi'lathal, the Storm of the Eastern Dawn, who has a far reaching PS that lets him, you know, be a storm. He also wants to get rid of that pesky exorcist and marry a virgin bride.
- Brand Robins

Paul T

Thanks, Brand.

That's how I've been looking at it, too:

When possible, such a thing is actually a particular strength. For instance, the curse or the labyrinth is a means for some other NPC to achieve their goals.

(The labyrinth allows the Sultan to keep unwanted visitors out of his business, while guiding his favourites to his court, say.)

Otherwise, only do so when it makes sense for the thing itself to have some Best Interests (or something similar).

(It is in the labyrinth's Best Interests for Rikar and Alouje to have a child; when in the labyrinth, those two characters may end up rolling dice if they don't intend to end up stranded and lots together. It is in the labyrinth's Best Interests for Theseus to find the Golden Fleece. Etc.)

I wonder if anyone else has done this, whether with bad or good results? Things to watch out for?

lumpley