[DitV] Question from a new-ish GM.

Started by spooked, November 26, 2008, 01:32:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spooked

Perhaps this is the intention of the rule and not a flaw, but... I'm find that with four players that while I can force them into SEEing all my raises, I have to SEE four times for each of their raises in turn, usually. Since single NPCs and general conflicts seem to only be able to go raise for see with a single PC, I tend to be finding ways to increase my dice pool that may be unorthodox. Demonic Influence gives me big numbers, but not enough of them to regularly see the conflicts to the end. Thus, while I can make my players pay for winning the conflicts, generally via fallout from my D10s in DI, I don't often win them as a GM. Thus, my players never really need to give if there is a group of them.

Now, after two sessions what I've been doing is forcing conflicts where the players are either alone or at some sort of disadvantage. Perhaps, if I use more groups, or multiple NPCs in a given conflicts, plus play to their weaknesses, I can make play a little more cut throat and force them to either give or raise when maybe they don't want to.

Suggestions?

Moreno R.

Hi, Spooked! What's your name? (at the Forge there is the habit of calling people with the real names, even if they use nicknames as handles, and it seems strange to call somebody "spooked")

My first suggestion would be to avoid strong-arming the players with brute force tactics as mobs or something like that. This would push them in a bad mental zone (bad for the game, I mean) where they will try to "game the system" to avoid being pushed, damaging the game, and it's not a war that you have any hope off winning, against 4 dogs.

Your strategy shouldn't be to make them lose the stakes of a conflict, but have them pay dearly for that, using very strong raises, and forcing them to choose between losing the stakes or accepting the raise. Because this will be their choice, they will not feel forced or railroaded and (usually) don't go into that bad mental zone.

So, keep the big dice in reserve until you see that they can't parry them anymore, and then use them for a single raise.

Reading your post, I think that you underestimate the chances you have to have every dog see your raises. If, for example, you raise with "I shoot them" every single dog in the conflict has to see your raise. You are not limited to a single target, if you don't choose so. This balance a little the odds, (not by much, against 4 dogs you still will have to see 4 raises for every one they will have to see. Try to frame conflicts with only one or two dogs, but don't use strongarm techniques. Usually all you have to do is play with time (different problems at the same time in different places) and with the dog's loyalties and family, and they will split up willingly (but NOT if you begin to use mobs to hit them: if they will see you do this they will be stay stuck together as if they were glued, all the time!)
Ciao,
Moreno.

(Excuse my errors, English is not my native language. I'm Italian.)

spooked

Hey,
My name is Nathan Wilson; I just default to my handle when posting to fourms. Sorry about that.

Thanks for the advice about not strong arming them with mobs. I do already try to make them take fallout with the big dice that they either have to Take the Blow or Give, and by splitting them up. What I ought to do more is pay the Town and not try to play the system to "beat them." That is to make conflicts Giveable and have their victories be somewhat bitter sweet.

Thanks again.