The Last Watchdog Over the Faithful

Started by Judd, December 05, 2008, 03:05:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judd

A solo campaign in a wild west that never was and has moved on, starting off in a ghost-town called Bridal Falls, winding through what is left of the Desert Territory and ending Back East.

Taught by the Ghosts elders, prophets and former dogs in the empty streets of Bridal Falls.

Walking through the wastelands of the Desert Territory dispensing justice.

Ending your journey Back East, among cabals of warlock rail barons and high society witches.

If your charater dies along the way, you choose a relationship you have as your next character to pick up your jacket, pistols, horse and sanctified earth and continue the journey.

Man, I want to run that.

agony

Sounds amazing Judd.  I've never quite enjoyed solo games though, even if it fits the fiction much better as is this case.
You can call me Charles

Judd

Quote from: agony on December 05, 2008, 03:32:24 PM
Sounds amazing Judd.  I've never quite enjoyed solo games though, even if it fits the fiction much better as is this case.

Man, I have had some rip-roaringly great solo games.  It is a neat way to game.

Brand_Robins

Judd,

As always, your idea is spicy and exciting as good chicken tikka masala. 

One word of warning, Dogs is remarkably harsh on solo play. In the sense that a town that's a cake walk in terms of winning challenges for a group of Dogs can butcher a solo Dog, set fire to his body, and eat the remains without ever noticing he was there.

So if you do get to play it, take a little care with the framing of challenges and how hard you push, or else you're going to end up using those rules for relationships picking up the coat and gun a lot.

- Brand Robins

Judd

Quote from: Brand_Robins on December 05, 2008, 03:48:02 PM
Judd,

As always, your idea is spicy and exciting as good chicken tikka masala. 

One word of warning, Dogs is remarkably harsh on solo play. In the sense that a town that's a cake walk in terms of winning challenges for a group of Dogs can butcher a solo Dog, set fire to his body, and eat the remains without ever noticing he was there.

So if you do get to play it, take a little care with the framing of challenges and how hard you push, or else you're going to end up using those rules for relationships picking up the coat and gun a lot.

Mmmm, you are making me hungry.

Thanks for the kind words, Brand.

Yeah, I am hoping to use those rules for picking up the coat quite a lot.  I'm a ruthless bastard when I GM dogs.

Playtesting might prove me wrong but yeah, one lone dog against the world might just have to back off on conflicts a whole lot more.

Graham W

QuoteAs always, your idea is spicy and exciting as good chicken tikka masala. 

Chicken tikka masala is the worst kind of curry. I know this because I'm English and we invented curry. What you're effectively saying, Brand, is that Judd's idea is not spicy and exciting at all. Your curry ignorance is leading you to be insulting. I hope you don't mind me interrupting the thread to point it out but it's important.

I love this idea. I often think there's not enough use made of all the iconic places in DitV. I'd love to go to Bridal Falls more often. I'd especially love to judge the wrongdoers of Bridal Falls.

Graham

Brand_Robins

Graham,

This is because outside of England people use spices other than pepper and coriander seeds for seasoning of curry. I do understand that pepper alone makes it spicier than most British cooking (and all Irish cooking), but it is still not a proper masala.

However, I have to agree with you about the use of iconic places. Bridal Falls needs more use. I've also once played a game in which the Dogs went to a slightly ahistorically early Brigham Young University, and had to root out all kinds of false doctrine and pride. Especially amusing was when they damned the professor of Biology to hell because he was teaching evolution. I hadn't even included him in the town write up, but the characters went out of their way to go damn the evolution guy to hell.
- Brand Robins

Judd

I ran a game in Bridal Falls City, the Dogs set foot outside the gates and a guy stepped out and asked them to go back in.  Just in case they didn't go for it, I had another town ready.

Once they went back in and passed judgement on a former dog's actions and another time they continued on their way.

There are some neat toys in that setting, without a doubt.

Judd

For the Accomplishment, I think it is something you did just before the last remaining person remaining in Bridal Falls died.   It coudl be a Prophet or elder or former Dog or all three but they died and before they did, you wanted to do something.

Maybe it was to prove them wrong about something or best them in a theological debate about the good or bad the Watchdogs have done in their history.  But before they died, there was a conflict and that conflict with the last living person in Bridal Falls is your accomplishment.

Brand_Robins

The accomplishment for the very first Dog I played in this game would probably be: "I want to have killed the last ancient of bridal falls for heresy."
- Brand Robins

Judd

Quote from: Brand_Robins on December 08, 2008, 12:43:21 PM
The accomplishment for the very first Dog I played in this game would probably be: "I want to have killed the last ancient of bridal falls for heresy."

Brand, I totally missed this last response until today.

Hot stuff.

Judd

I just found myself thinking about this here idear while in the shower, washing my nethers and it occurred to me that it could have two players, the Last Watchdog and her apprentice.

That is all.

agony

A father and son (10-12 years of age) would be stellar as well.  I can't help but keep picturing Cormac McCarthy's "The Road".
You can call me Charles

jefgodesky

Quote from: Paka on March 04, 2009, 12:23:11 AM
I just found myself thinking about this here idear while in the shower, washing my nethers and it occurred to me that it could have two players, the Last Watchdog and her apprentice.

Like Sith lords?

Judd

Quote from: jefgodesky on May 23, 2009, 03:03:13 PM
Quote from: Paka on March 04, 2009, 12:23:11 AM

Like Sith lords?

I was thinking more like Roland and the kid from the first Gunslinger book.