The Indie Rpgs Un-store sales results

Started by Hituro, February 23, 2009, 10:04:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lumpley

Thanks, Clay and Jake! No need to debate it here. If anybody has any requests about the Un-store, please send them to me directly, at lumpley at the gmail.com.

(The individual publishers are responsible for putting prices on their products, but the back end may be a little confusing in that regard, so don't blame them. I have a plan to make it tidier.)

-Vincent

iago

I would agree that genre categories are ultimately fairly unsatisfying -- speaking as someone who tries to find some best-fits for new products as they're added to the IPR catalog.

A lot of the market you're looking at here is interested in "the work of game designer X"; they come in with an intent to purchase stuff someone specific has done.  The unstore's publisher's page allows that sort of exploration of the site.  Which, given that the unstore has (or at least appears to have) a very thin barrier between "community of designers" and "these are our products", is probably a reasonably ideal set-up for it.

As a consumer, my only real complaint here would be the lack of an ability to achieve economies of scale: I can't order three items from the same publisher and get a combined shipping cost discount, let alone from different publishers.  But before anyone gets upset about that observation, let me note that I totally get that this is the sort of thing that can't be avoided with the Unstore's model for sales -- as I recall what was said initially, there's no guarantee that each product ordered from it even goes out from the same shipper.  The end effect that I would *expect* from this is that the Unstore is about selling one copy of one game to one person at a time ... is that at all fair as a statement?  I'm genuinely curious and want to see how expectations and reality line up.

Graham W

Given that books are often sent from the same location, there's no practical reason you couldn't order two books at once and pay once for shipping. It might be logistically difficult, from the point of view of the website and PayPal, though.

G