Publishers' Graphics: Apparently they're a file storage facility, now

Started by Graham W, March 12, 2009, 07:15:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Graham W

A rather odd email from Publishers' Graphics.

QuoteDear Graham,

March 9, 2009

We are updating our data-file storage system, and have added new procedures to our safeguards to
insure that your print-ready PDF files are available for future reprints. The ability to offer this dynamic data
file storage, backup and retrieval service does come with a cost , $9 per title for 2009.

We are requesting that you please complete the following for each title, and indicate whether you want
us to store your files, send you a CD of these files and remove the files from our system, or if you prefer that we
do not store your files and remove them from our system. Should you want a CD of the file sent to you please
indicate that below. The charge for the CD to be sent via USPS Priority mail is $35.

Should you choose not to have your files stored at our facility, we will purge these files from our system
after the order has printed. Please indicate below your preference regarding the print-ready PDF file storage.

The three options, then, are: pay $9 a year to store the file; pay $35 for a CD of the file; or pay nothing and lose the file. (The last has the rather neat advantage that it encourages me to try another printer for the next run).

Now, I'm not inclined to pay anything, but I thought I'd get some other opinions first. What do you think about this? What's the best option?

Graham

guildofblades

Um, what am I missing? Why not option 3, pay nothing and then the next time you want to print, just send them the files again?

I mean, unless they are charging you to recieve the files? Or refusing to accept files transferred by the Internet. Which, in both cases, find another printer.

As a general rules of thumb, we keep client files "on file" for one year since last printing. We need to have that "cut off" so to speak so we don't obligate ourselves to be a free files storage library, but we certainly _want_ to keep files on file and ready to print for any client that is actively using our service (and we clearly define actively as in, printed with us within the last year).

I would presume they are facing something akin to that and are establishing that cut off. Being charged to keep the files on file and ready for print for a small fee is a simple service that is reducing your need to organize and resend the files to them again. Different that the way we've chosen to deal with the same situation, but doesn't exactly make them demon-spawn or anything.

Ryan
GOB Retail
Ryan S. Johnson
Guild of Blades Publishing Group
http://www.guildofblades.com

Ron Edwards

This is especially odd because they've always kept my files on file (yeesh, the industry needs new terms) without charge and without any indication that this was a special service. The traditional publisher I use for the Sorcerer books does the same thing. I consider this standard operating procedure for printers and clients. In fact, it's one of the reasons I tend to stick with a publisher and only re-bid for new ones if real trouble appears.

So I really do not see where they are coming from - charge me to store these files? When they've done it without charge for what, three or four years now? Phooey on that.

Best, Ron