Re: The Infamous Five

Started by Mickey, May 15, 2008, 03:05:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mickey

*reads intently* xD

Nathan Abrahams

Would this then be required reading for getting started around here?

I'm trying to get a grasp of the basic things I should know to be able to converse competently on basic game design, even as it pertains to writing settings or expansions for pre-existing systems (my usual method).

Ron Edwards

Hello!

Nothing's actually required. Also, even if anything were, the Infamous Five threads aren't about game design particularly, more about the business identity of the hobby, the subculture of gaming, and the Forge as a community.

If you're interested in a summary of my thinking about game design, and bear in mind that's one person here and not "Forge ideology," then check out The Provisional Glossary, an article linked in the Articles section (top right of the page you're reading right now). The first two pages aren't a glossary but a useful short essay.

Aside from that, if you were simply to abide by the stated purpose of each forum and begin posting wherever you'd like, then I think things will go fine. There is no "you don't know enough to post here" culture here. If someone ever does give you any static that seems like that to you, send me a private message and I will take action that will surprise you (and them).

I do recommend keeping an open mind and reading others' ideas or what seems like instruction with at least some willingness to consider them.

Best, Ron