Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 10:40:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.
Search:     Advanced search
46709 Posts in 5588 Topics by 13297 Members Latest Member: - Shane786 Most online today: 38 - most online ever: 429 (November 03, 2007, 04:35:43 AM)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Service Temporarily Unavailable  (Read 3412 times)
Simon C

« on: September 16, 2009, 03:42:56 PM »

The site's been barely usable for me for the last couple of weeks, with extremely slow load times and frequent innaccessibility.  I get this error a lot:

Service Temporarily Unavailable
The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.

Is this a problem at my end, or yours? I talked to Steve (hix) about it, and he's had the same problems. 
HeTeleports

The name's Youssef.

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 04:05:45 PM »

The site's been barely usable for me for the last couple of weeks, with extremely slow load times and frequent innaccessibility.  I get this error a lot:

Service Temporarily Unavailable
The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.

Is this a problem at my end, or yours? I talked to Steve (hix) about it, and he's had the same problems. 

Trying to second the notion that this is not problem with any of the three computers I use to access this site, I faced the 503 error about 4 times.
I look at the Most Online Today figure, compared to most online ever. It doesn't seem to be a traffic issue.

He's supposed to be finishing the art and text for his new game "Secret Identities."

"Oh... be careful. He teleports."
greyorm

My name is Raven.

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 06:00:54 PM »

I can verify this as well. It's been exceptionally bad for at least the last week. I have to refresh pages repeatedly before I stop receiving the 503 error.

Rev. Ravenscrye Grey Daegmorgan
Wild Hunt Studio
Judd

Please call me Judd.

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 06:31:29 PM »

Me too.

I make a habit of hitting control A and control C before I hit Reply to anything and it often takes 4-5 efforts to load a page, both here and at various computers at work.

It is a pain in the ass and really shreds the utility of the site.

lumpley
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009, 06:19:49 AM »

I'll be improving the Forge's server situation, but it'll take a bit. Thanks for your patience, everyone!

-Vincent
Simon C

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 10:22:49 PM »

Thanks Vincent!
Jasper Flick

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 12:29:00 PM »

Vincent, there might be a cheap performance gain by disabling non-essential features like "Users Online" display and "Jump To" links, especially if the database is the bottleneck. Letting MySQL optimize or defrag some tables is another possible cheap and quick boost, especially if that hasn't been done in a long time, if ever.

Trouble with dice mechanics? Check out AnyDice, my online dice distribution calculator!
Jasper Flick

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 01:18:51 AM »

I just like to say that the Forge is running like a charm the last few days!

Trouble with dice mechanics? Check out AnyDice, my online dice distribution calculator!
lumpley
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009, 07:05:41 AM »

Thanks, Jasper.

-Vincent
greyorm

My name is Raven.

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2009, 10:22:57 AM »

Whatever you did, Vincent, I've had considerably fewer 503s and much faster page loads the last couple days. Kudos! And thanks!

Rev. Ravenscrye Grey Daegmorgan
Wild Hunt Studio
Judd

Please call me Judd.

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2009, 04:23:50 PM »

Whatever you did, Vincent, I've had considerably fewer 503s and much faster page loads the last couple days. Kudos! And thanks!

Me too.

Rock on.

Jasper Flick

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2009, 03:05:20 AM »

Alas, it has relapsed. Recently it's been mostly unworkable, with occasional spells of high responsiveness.

lumpley
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2009, 06:05:39 AM »

Yep.

-Vincent
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: