[Solar System] Secret of Sacrifie

Started by Klaus_Welten, August 31, 2009, 06:01:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Klaus_Welten

A little thing I made inspired by the Sacrifice rule in Anima Prime Beta:

Secret of Sacrifice

The character can declare her own sacrifice at any point during an extended conflict. He dies. The player gets to describe the circumstances of her death, which may include newly introduced elements (like an assassin shooting the character with a crossbow). Although he dies, the character automatically wins the conflict and gets to choose the ultimate fate of the opposition: she can take them with her, convert them, or anything else. Treat this like the consequence of a TRANSCENDENT roll.
Requirement: One relevant ability at GRANDMASTER level.

How does it sound? ^_^

Klaus_Welten

Gah, I f****d off some prononuns... Why can't I edit my posts? T_T

Eero Tuovinen

I love it! Just the sort of "I'm going to explode in your faces, bitches" design that I like. Also compare with the Moonman Secret from the new book.

I'd probably put a Pool cost (2 points is what I've used in similar situations) here just so the player would be in danger of not being able to activate the Secret... actually, I could even see requiring a suitable Ability check, assuming the crunch landscape has a suitable Ability.

Other than that, not much to complain about here. It's a fine midway point between death (failure of the character's ambitions) and transcendence (ultimate success). I could see using something like that.
Blogging at Game Design is about Structure.
Publishing Zombie Cinema and Solar System at Arkenstone Publishing.

Courage75

How about that the trigger is the PC has to be reduced to Incapacitated first? Or would this be too limiting to the Secret?

Klaus_Welten

Quote from: Courage75 on August 31, 2009, 09:54:06 PM
How about that the trigger is the PC has to be reduced to Incapacitated first? Or would this be too limiting to the Secret?

Nope - it's not much of a sacrifice when you're going down anyway. ;-)

Eero Tuovinen

Yeah, the Secret already encourages using it when you're down - presumably you'd want to use something like this in a situation where the character is not getting what he wants any other way.
Blogging at Game Design is about Structure.
Publishing Zombie Cinema and Solar System at Arkenstone Publishing.

Klaus_Welten

Quote from: Eero Tuovinen on September 01, 2009, 09:54:27 AM
Yeah, the Secret already encourages using it when you're down - presumably you'd want to use something like this in a situation where the character is not getting what he wants any other way.

Actually, I tink about it more as a "You choose when to trascend" trick. Something like the old "I get crucified, but my doctrine will spread through all the world and stay for thousand of years" trick. ;-)