[IaWA] What is the scope of resolution

Started by RPL, February 19, 2010, 05:10:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jburneko

Joe,

That's where negotiation can come in really handy.

Option 1) The player is cool getting his head chopped off.  So he accepts that his character is dead as part of the negotiation.  You can voluntarily die.

Option 2) "more or less" is key.  You might say, "Okay you land a solid blow.  I'm now gushing at the throat blood spraying every where.  Uh, how about you Injure me?"  This is great for the "Leaving him for dead but he finds help and lives" scenarios.

Option 3) The player is cool with getting his head chopped off but still wants agency.  He continues to play his character as a ghost.  Or maybe his severed head keeps talking and haunting the character.  Or something like that.

Jesse

Noclue

Quote from: JoeBeason on March 01, 2010, 03:58:58 PMBut what happens if the action was something more absolute and character-ending like "I chop off your head"?  Is the character now decapitated, more or less?  It would have to be a lot less to keep the character in play.  I'd been thinking that the only way to eliminate a character was to drive two scores down to 0, but I may have been making an error in logic, since "two zeroes means out" does not imply "out only if two zeroes".
Maybe Page 17 can help.
Notice that the worst that can really happen here
is that someone gets injured. No matter how hard
Amek chops Mekha, he can't out-and-out kill him.
is doesn't mean that you shouldn't make
potentially-lethal moves. "I slit your throat!" "My
war-elephant tramples you into crushed bones and
gore!" "I chop your head clean off your shoulders!"
In fact, those kinds of moves put you in a very strong
bargaining position (as you'll see).
When you make a lethal move, just be prepared to
scale back at consequence time.
James R.