Thank You to Everyone

Started by LandonSuffered, August 21, 2010, 08:19:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LandonSuffered

My reading and posting of the Forge forums have been light the last 18 months or so as I've been working on my own blogging and publishing endeavors, mainly dealing with Old School Dungeons & Dragons activity. I know that ain't a thrilling concept to many here, but that's not the point...

The POINT is that I just self-published my first game. I received the books from the printer yesterday morning, and in less than 24 hours after sticking a PayPal button on my blog, I have already paid for the entire (small) print run.

This is the first thing I've ever published. This is the first game I've ever written (no, it is not a "retro-clone" of an older game). This is the first time anyone's ever given me money for anything I've written. The fact that it is something I care deeply about (a role-playing game) just makes it all the sweeter.

I just want to say thank you to the folks at the Forge who are so encouraging of independent game design and publishing, who provide so much mentoring and information, who give people an environment conducive to growing creative ideas and pursuing endeavors that create such wonderful games. I would be remiss if I didn't thank the people here...without the Forge, I would never have had an idea that one COULD pursue game design without working for a giant, soul-less corporation, earning pennies for the sweat of my imagination.

Thank you. You were invaluable to starting me on this journey.
Jonathan

Jason Pitre

Congratulations for putting in all the blood, sweat and tears necessary for producing your product and for breaking even already. :)
Genesis of Legend Publishing
Telling New Stories around the Digital Fire
www.genesisoflegend.com

Gryffudd

Congratulations. Would it be possible to get a link to your site or the game's name? My finances are pretty devastated right now, but in a couple months I might be in a purchasing position again. :)

Pat

Ron Edwards

Yay!

And despite the remarkable resistance to the idea among many, the Forge has always been here for re-visitations of D&D. I've published two of them myself, f'God's sake.

Provide a freaking link, you twit! *

Best, Ron

* the dude knows me, so it's OK

LandonSuffered

@ Gryffud:

My blog can be at:

http://bxblackrazor.blogspot.com/

It's mostly a bunchy of ranty things about gaming, deconstructed D&D, politics, etc...the usual, in other words.

The book can be purchased via a PayPal button. It is called the B/X Companion. It was designed to be "the rule system that never was," the 3rd "companion" volume to the Basic and eXpert "fantasy adventure game" rule sets edited by Tom Moldvay, Dave Cook, and Steve Marsh (my first RPGs), and it is derived from the hints and suggestions found in those games, as well as the original 3-volume game published by Gygax and Arneson, whose work is the clear foundation for those Basic and Expert sets. It is not a clone of the Companion and Master sets later published under the authorship of Frank Mentzer.

If you're interested in knowing more, drop me an email...I didn't really want to use my "thank you" note as a commercial!
; )
Jonathan

LandonSuffered

@ Ron: Sorry...cross-post.

Yes, and I still eventually plan to get around to that Sorcerer supplement I emailed you about, waaay back in 2006 or 2007. I'm using the money I get from this book to roll into my next publication (much as I'd like to buy my wife something shiny). Fortunately, my family is on-board with the plan.

Thanks again. You guys really are a true inspiration.
Jonathan

greyorm

QuoteI know that ain't a thrilling concept to many here...

The hell it ain't. All the cool Forge kids love D&D. (I really wish I knew how that ridiculous "Forgers don't like D&D" meme got started...)

So this rocks. And congratulations!

Now, I'm super curious to know what kind of things can be found inside the B/X Companion, specifically. Might you throw a page up specifically about the contents and composition of and so forth on your site for the curious?
Rev. Ravenscrye Grey Daegmorgan
Wild Hunt Studio

LandonSuffered

All right...since you asked...

You can find a good description of what's in the book by checking out this blog post:

http://bxblackrazor.blogspot.com/2010/07/whats-in-bx-companion-huh.html

This particular post was written to answer the question "what's in the Companion?" If you have additional questions, let me know.
: )
Jonathan

greyorm

Rev. Ravenscrye Grey Daegmorgan
Wild Hunt Studio