Main Menu

[MLWM] newbie scenario

Started by ristarr, September 14, 2010, 12:20:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ristarr

I just played MLFM at dragoncon for the first time. My copy just arrived in the mail today ( thanks for the extremely fast shipping! ). I am going to introduce it to some friends with the master already made, like it was done for the con. It seems to have worked well with those unfamiliar to the game. But I also had an idea for a scenario. This is a really geeky one. The master would be the BOFH ( bastard operator from hell ) and his minions would be the PFY ( pimply faced youth ) junior admins working for him. I think this would work great with an IT centered gaming group. ( unless they identify too closely with the master ).
For the non-it people a more normal corporate setting might work better. Maybe with the master being Gordon Gecko or even Donald trump ( isn't the apprentice kinda close to this? ).
Does anyone have any experience with this sort of scenario?

Thanks!

Adam Dray

Not those specific scenarios, but I've played a hacked version of the game. We played My Life with Mr. President (of the USA), with a cruel and overbearing POTUS as the Master and his minions were people like the Chief of Staff, the VP, Press Secretary, and so on. It was fun but loses something in translation. Really, My Life with Master really shines in the Gothic Horror setting that the rules talk about.

Whatever setting you use, keep these things in mind:

1. Don't invent too much before talking to the players. It's supposed to be collaborative to get player buy-in.

2. The players should invent a Master they really think is an awful, broken person.

3. The players should create minions that are really pitiful, broken people. Those minions need to be under the sway of the Master; make the players tell you why they have a hard time disobeying.

4. The rules for Outsiders and Needs and Wants are important. Don't ignore them.

Let us know how it goes!
Adam Dray / adam@legendary.org
Verge -- cyberpunk role-playing on the brink
FoundryMUSH - indie chat and play at foundry.legendary.org 7777