www.d20openrpg.com looking for developers/testers

Started by jreyst, January 10, 2011, 09:59:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jreyst

What is this about?
http://www.d20openrpg.com

Introduction/Background
D20 Open RPG is a 100% free, community built and maintained desktop roleplaying game inspired and expanding on the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game created by Paizo Publishing LLC.

We are not affiliated with Paizo Publishing in any way and Paizo Publishing has not endorsed this project.

The system started with the Open Game Content portions of the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game and then made a large number of changes and updates moving in the direction of a "Classless" system, using Talents to define character abilities instead of Classes. Many changes have been (and are being) made to the core rules beyond simply changes to character generation that are intended to greatly speed and improve play including completely changing the Metamagic and crafting systems.

What am I doing here?
Looking to see if others would like to join the team. We have 8-10 collaborators working on this project at the moment. I would like to engage as many people as possible in order to make the best d20/Pathfinder-based open system possible.

What do you do if you are interested?
Just send me an email so I can add you to the team! All you need is a Google ID since we use Google Sites to manage the content.

Email: jreyst@gmail.com

Ron Edwards

Hello and welcome,

The primary issue for me, as content moderator, is whether your concept of open design includes full self-publishing based creator ownership. That's the hard line for inclusion at the Forge, either for Game Development (where you originally posted) or in this one, Publishing (where I moved it).

Let me know how that plays for you. Let's say I were to join the team. Would I be able to publish my own product using the system as eventually developed, under my own label (Adept Press), in my own way, without editorial oversight and without any management restrictions whatsoever? I'm not talking about without attribution - all the credits would be included. But the question is whether I would have to use some other imprint or accord with any usage restrictions whatsoever.

And similarly, could someone who had not joined the team do the same, i.e., publish a product using this system, with the same standards of ownership, whatever they may be?

Best, Ron

jreyst

Ron,

Thanks for the response. This game system is now, and will remain to be, 100% Open Game Content, as defined by the Open Game License created by Wizards of the Coast. Further, the system is now, and will always remain to be, 100% free, as in no cost to use. If you want to publish materials compatible with this system, or using this system, you are only required to abide by the normal terms of the OGL.

If you would like more information about the OGL let me know and I can post helpful links.

John