[D&D 4e] Combat and Reward Systems

Started by Natespank, March 10, 2011, 05:34:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Narmical

Quote from: Natespank on March 26, 2011, 01:56:39 AM
Quote[4e] Is definately about tactical combat.

For example, when goblins attack the party... the PCs slaughter them!
the DM can't really challenge the PCs with tactics, he has to challenge them with encounter building ahead of time :p

I'm not sure I understand why you think this as a problem? Climbing the power ladder is just a part of DnD and most level based RPGs. Also assuming you build your stat blocks right (and there are allot of rules in 4e to help you do this as the DM) you can play hard, and be fairly confident you wont TPK. I think thats a good thing.

Quoteyour idea of taking XP away from fighting and putting it somewhere else is just breaking the game with a massive sledgehammer.

...sort of agreed. The major problem, to me, is the lack of supporting mechanics for non-combat activities. There's very very few rules for travel, sneaking and exploring except for skill challenges, which I sort of dislike.

I though in 4e exp was handed out per encounter, not per kill like it was in 2e. There is defiantly something about xp from skill changeless. That being said, i don't think shifting xp elsewhere would be a problem or game breaking. On the other hand i agree that skill challenges are a poor. To me it looks like they were trying to emulate some of the more innovative resolution systems for indie games. But it just falls flat for me.