Re: I don't know where to start...

Started by Enker, March 08, 2011, 05:33:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Enker

I personally like some flavour text before entering the main book. Perhaps a single page story or moment within the head of a character in the games world setting that sets the mood and tone of your specific setting? From there it's always easier to explain the basics as you go. It doesn't need to be an earth-shattering moment or a long rolled-out history of your world, perhaps something simple like a character setting out on an adventure or a chance encounter that will lead to something bigger. The original 'Vampire: The Masquerade' and other World of Darkness books were very good for this, enabling a reader to quickly gather their impression of what the setting was like without having to deal with text-heavy history and breakdowns of mythology until much later. It also introduced us to in-world terms in a usable setting that otherwise could confuse an unknowing potential player.

Airafice

I have to agree with Enker.  Some times starting off with a blerb from a story will put the reader in to the mood for your RPG style. 
Give them a small taste of the fun they will have in your gaming world.  When ever I want to get amped for a RPG I like to read books related to
the subject.  Starting your intro with a short story always gets me in the gaming mood.
Also Try writing the intro after every thing else is dune.  This will help you frame your work and summaries the high points of your game.  And is that not the meaning of an intro? 
Best of luck and have the fun.

Ron Edwards

Hello,

The above two posts were split from the older thread I don't know where to start....

To continue this thread, I ask that someone propose a concrete topic for discussion, and that the thread not be conducted as an opinion poll.

Otherwise we should all let it lapse.

Best, Ron
this is a moderator post