System Reference Examination

Started by BubbaBrown, June 16, 2011, 03:06:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BubbaBrown

I have condensed a system reference document of my game system:  It's been trimmed to the very basics and essentials.

It is a system intended to be modular and malleable, with the core mechanics providing spots for common aspects and smaller, open rulesets to reduce conflicts. 

http://www.bestwithstuff.com/D10-0SRD.pdf

Given it is a reference document meant for designers and advanced users, here is what I'm trying to focus on presently:

1.  Does the document give you a sufficient summary of the game system components and mechanics?

2.  Does the document give you enough knowledge of the system's functionality to allow you to make a decision on whether or not to use it?

3.  What does it lack for your informative preferences?

Any other commentary and feedback is appreciated.  The primary concern right now is what content is missing or lacking that prevent the end-user from being properly informed.  Then, what is there can be properly examined after what isn't there is found.

John Michael Crovis

There are a few things that could be done differently here. First of all, I think it is important to approach the system from the perspective that you are actually building a character. As such, the Standard Agent Build Process should occur at the very beginning of the manual.  There are a few things that are not explained well in the manual: How to use the "Dude" Diagram, what the Base, Adjust, and Total for skills are used for, how to determine Karma. My suggestion is that you rewrite the document using an ongoing example of how each part of the game is determined and used in the game. Build the document around that ongoing explanation.

I hope this helps.