Living in the Alleys

Started by fire_rods, June 18, 2011, 01:18:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fire_rods

This is a game that I came up with. I haven't finished the game itself, but would love some feedback; and know if it sounds like an interesting enough game. The concept of the game is that the players fill the roles of thieves that must steal certain artifacts or loot. I will provide links to the character creation chapter, the introduction chapter and the character sheet, below:

Introduction: https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B0q0chL2qpyWYzIzZTFlNTAtNTU1NC00MzJlLTg0YzAtMGI3YzE2MTExYTQ0&hl=en_US

Character Creation
: https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B0q0chL2qpyWZjgyN2YxZTQtOThhNy00ZjcxLWJkMjUtMmJiZTkwZTBmZGFi&hl=es

Character Sheet: https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B0q0chL2qpyWMDVmYzM2YjktYWU3Mi00N2Q1LTljNWYtYzhhNTA5NDJiNTIz&hl=es

I would like to know if the game sounds interesting and if I should polish the chapters more. Thank you!

Mike Sugarbaker

This is good as far as it goes, but there's nothing here about how to... play. I could be wrong but it looks like you're thinking in therms of a "stealth game;" how do you plan to model that?

I do like that in chargen, backstory and character archetype are both essentially compressed down to choosing one word from a short list. Down with the paradox of choice, let's get playing!
Publisher/Co-Editor, OgreCave
Caretaker, Planet Story Games
Content Admin, Story Games Codex

fire_rods

The idea of the game is not so much a stealth game, but a heist game. Each thieve contributed their part in an entire plan to steal something. The reason why I gave the characters a "mantle" is so they did not have to worry so much about having their identities exposed and could go be successful without stealth. Example: A Charlatan distracts the guests of a party, while the snoop sneaks in and steals the object; the Thug intercepts any guards that might follow the band once they make their getaway. Something like that. The game usually plays out as a job-reward-job system. The characters complete a job, get a reward and spend it if they want and jump to the next job. But the game can have its stories. For example: The characters might be instructed by the Guild to steal a series guard-post schedules to perform and even bigger heist. The mechanics themselves work in an exchange of the GM throwing the "Required score" for the action (which is random, to a point) and the characters try to over-exceed this score.

fire_rods

I also came up with an idea of possible antagonists for the thieves. They are called the Executioners. Basically, they are normal kingdom guards that were trained in the ways of the thieves in order to track them down and arrest them. They are three types of Executioners; mirroring the three Archetypes of the thieves. These are: the Ward (mirror of the Thug), the Sleuth (mirror of the Charlatan) and the Pursuant (mirror of the Snoop). Tell me what you think of the idea and any questions you might have.

Ron Edwards

Hiya,

Have you considered the possibility that the thieves' own worst enemy may be one another? That's a major feature of most heist film and fiction, along the whole range from slapstick comedy to horrific tragedy.

Best, Ron