Freeware/open source thing like InDesign?

Started by Robert Bohl, January 28, 2008, 03:30:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Bohl

I've recently decided I want to do Misspent Youth as an ashcan for Gen Con, and further that I want to try to do the layout on the ashcan (though not the final book) myself (also, I'll be learning how to do it, so it might not be super-great, but I'm going to try my best).

The thing is I don't want to drop $700 on InDesign. Is there a recognized go-to for free desktop publishing software out there? If not, what about a recognized very-low-price-shareware-like one? If not, what would you regard as a good one?

Are there any good ones?
Game:
Misspent Youth: Ocean's 11 + Avatar: The Last Airbender + Snow Crash
Shows:
Oo! Let's Make a Game!: Joshua A.C. Newman and I make a transhumanist RPG

GreatWolf

Scribus.

Now, I say this as one who is going to be able to upgrade to InDesign.  However, Dirty Secrets was laid out using Scribus, which was apparently one of the largest projects done on Scribus that the programming team was aware of.  So, yeah, we stress-tested it for you!

There's a thread around here discussing Scribus.  I'll try to dig it up for you.
Seth Ben-Ezra
Dark Omen Games
producing Legends of Alyria, Dirty Secrets, A Flower for Mara
coming soon: Showdown

Robert Bohl

Game:
Misspent Youth: Ocean's 11 + Avatar: The Last Airbender + Snow Crash
Shows:
Oo! Let's Make a Game!: Joshua A.C. Newman and I make a transhumanist RPG

GreatWolf

Seth Ben-Ezra
Dark Omen Games
producing Legends of Alyria, Dirty Secrets, A Flower for Mara
coming soon: Showdown

KeithBVaughn

It may sound odd but you can do an awful lot of things with MS Word. I've got Word 2000 and do most of my layout with it since it is much more flexible than any publishing program. Especially if I need to add a section. Then I import it to inDesign and clean it up. It's plain jane but functional.

A good series of books is Teach Yourself Visually [insert program name here] for getting a handle on what a program can do.

Keith
Idea men are a dime a dozen--and overpriced!