Those imaginary "other kinds" of RPGers

Started by Daniel B, April 20, 2009, 01:09:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel B

Hello folks,

I suppose this is more of an "Actual NOT Played" thread, because I discuss a kind of actual play I've NOT ever found myself in, and I'm curious about this.

I've only ever played RPGs with, basically, 3 cliques my entire life as I've gone from elementary school to adulthood, and only ever encountered two types of roleplayers. These roleplayers could be classified as gamists and, I suppose, simulationists? The gamists have always been obvious; they pick the fighter classes, with a little dash of magic if it boosts their overall power, and tend to choose races with high Str mods. The simulationists, if that's what they are, have been interested in exploring setting and colour usually. *Even* in this case, all the players I've ever played with never made obviously self-harming choices for their characters. Almost like "gamists-lite", their end goal is to increase the character's power, though they're willing to not exert themselves so hard towards this goal if it means they can do a bit of exploration. I put myself in this latter category: When I get to play, I virtually always play wizards or spellcasters because, although I love the increase of power, I enjoy the aspect of finding creative solutions to the problems we encounter as opposed to the mindless "hack hack hack" of fighters.

Here's the crux: since visiting the Forge, I've become aware that there may be players who do take actions that are obviously harmful to their characters, for the sake of making the scene or the game more exciting. Although, hypothetically, I think I could find myself in a situation where I would want to do that, it's quite simply never come up. Furthermore, I'm convinced it's never happened in any of the games I've run or played.

Is this the fault of the system? Is it just the groups I'm playing with? Maybe it's a result of only ever having played games where there was a 1-1 relationship between player and character?

Daniel
Arthur: "It's times like these that make me wish I'd listened to what my mother told me when I was little."
Ford: "Why? What did she tell you?"
Arthur: "I don't know. I didn't listen."

Lance D. Allen

So, first question: Is this really about different types of gamers, or is it actually about the practice of making decisions that are harmful to the specific character in service to making the scene more interesting?

Understand that the types of gamer you're talking about are the tried and true types. Narrativism was the new hotness in the indie scene for the longest time, but it was slow in infiltrating the traditional gaming scene as a concept. That isn't to say that the play preference wasn't there; Many massive-story-arc GMs were frustrated narrativists, trying to make the game about something, but feeling they didn't have that power as a player. I'm also a big proponent of the idea that it's been a strong motivation in many coherent free-form communities. However, making decisions in service to 'the story' isn't a purely narrativist concept.

Moving more toward the practice you're talking about, it can be for a few differing motivations. It can even be gamist under certain circumstances (specifically, where there is mechanical reward for harshing your own character). Specifically in the free-form communities, exploration of situation was a very good reason to do this. I allowed my young bardy-roguey character to lose a hand so that I could explore what it'd be like to play a dexterity-based character with only one hand. Now, there wasn't anything mechanical about this, because it was free-form, but it was definitely detrimental to the character. I also 'killed' a character to explore the theme of loss, though it turned out through magical means that he wasn't really dead.

I'm like you. I like my characters to improve in proficiency over time, but that's certainly not in opposition to self-authored adversity. In one of my perpetually in-development projects, player authorship of challenges is a big feature, though that's somewhat different than what you're talking about, I think. I assume you're talking specifically about making the tactically non-optimum decision in the fiction, or maybe in character choices (putting points into Teamster, for instance).
~Lance Allen
Wolves Den Publishing
Eternally Incipient Publisher of Mage Blade, ReCoil and Rats in the Walls

greyorm

Quote from: ShallowThoughts on April 20, 2009, 01:09:56 AMIs this the fault of the system? Is it just the groups I'm playing with? Maybe it's a result of only ever having played games where there was a 1-1 relationship between player and character?

I don't think we can say, "Yep, system made that happen" and write it off as-such, but we can't ignore the role of system in setting-up that state of affairs, either. Though mainly I think this is a result of traditional gamer culture, not system, or even 1-1 relationships, wherein the culture has a lot of unstated dysfunction that is presented and adhered to as the acceptable and obvious way to approach play.

Things like "it is the GM's story, you'd better follow it because he worked hard on it and he's hosting/there would be nothing to do if you did not/GASPCHAOS!" and "(you are clearly power-gaming and/or if you can do that you'll ruin my story, so) while your character is sleeping, a bunch of thieves rob him blind" which result in the GM opaquely steering everything back onto a pre-set course for which there is no alternative or hosing the player through their character for being impertinent.

This leads to ingrained responses like "my guy" syndrome and "turtle" behavior, where the player becomes super-protective of the character and their own ability to have a real impact on the game because of the way the games they have been a part of have been run and are expected to be run, so they never do anything that might remotely give the GM an opening to "attack" them.

They know they can't deliberately walk off the GM's planned adventure path to pursue their character's own goals, because the GM's story is the game, not whatever they might want to do with it, and would certainly never make the GM's "job" (of hosing their character and putting them in their place) easier by volunteering themselves to get an extra helping of screwed.

They instead take what little personal control of the game they can have in the tiny moments it is allowed, or that they can fight for, and avoid anything that gives the GM an opening to further assault or push-around their character or reduce/subvert their already limited influence.

I know some folks claim these kinds of gamers/groups/play doesn't exist, but I just spent eight hours with a big, pretty standard group of gamers who talked about all these things as though that's just the way games go, discussing various groups they played in during high school and various ones they play in now. They complained about certain tactics as players one minute, then glorifyied in using those same tactics as a GM the next, and never really saw the problem.

They slung around ideas like "we don't bother with the rules, we just describe stuff and the GM decides if it happens, because that's REAL role-playing!" followed by "but such-and-such a game has the best system for intrigue and stories" (and failing to notice the disconnect); also "everyone wants me to GM because they say I write the best stories" (the GM's planned plot-story is the game) with "I can't believe he tried to tell us what the game would be about" (again, fail); and "there was this stupid guy in our group who kept telling me 'I search the brush to find a bag' and always told ME what he wanted! So I showed him" (completely failing to see a player engaging with the game environment as an excited co-creator, and ensuring they would never try to have input again) and "but this other guy is the only one who really likes to describe things and get into character and do interesting things" (again).

Now, I simply gritted my teeth and bore it quietly, because previous attempts with these guys to segue into a conversation about how there other ways to run a game, or ways to avoid the problems they would complain about then praise (or even attempts to ask why they were using tactics they hated), have been met with disbelief backlash the level of a fundamentalist Christian responding to the idea that something might be more fun than/as acceptable as the missionary position and that homosexuality isn't perverse.

But all of that is traditional gamer culture--they didn't sound any different than any other traditional gaming group I've played with or hung out with and swapped gaming stories with over the past two-and-a-half decades I've been playing--and I think its a good part of the reason you see that behavior you're commenting on of players never harming their own character or putting themselves in a position to have their effectiveness injured or pride or input punished/demeaned.

System does have a bit to do with that, I think, in that many traditional systems only reward you for growing more mechanically powerful and for tactical/strategic thinking in overcoming obstacles, neither of which is served by injuring or penalizing your own character during play (especially given that the GM is already doing that "for" you) -- and also not by providing any rewards for developing an interesting narrative and exploring human issues complete with rising action and (narratively-fortunate) setbacks, especially in that environment (where overcoming obstacles and clever tactical thinking or puzzle-solving is the point of play).

Quote from: Wolfen on April 20, 2009, 03:31:59 AMIt can even be gamist under certain circumstances (specifically, where there is mechanical reward for harshing your own character).

An interesting form of Gamism might be Stepping Up to see "oh yeah, just how bad did your character have it? MY character had it so bad..." I haven't played Drowning & Falling, but from what little I've read of it, it seems to be a game where how badly your character is hosed is one of the most desirable and fun parts of play.

Which I only mention because Gamism isn't only about mechanical rewards and punishments, just goal-related success and failure, whatever that particular goal might happen to be, and whatever happens to matter to the people at the table in relation to the people at the table.

Possible illustrative case: I think the one time I played At Death's Door at Forge Midwest, I played it very Gamist (too much so, on reflection, and I think it spoiled my experience in some ways). I was trying to win narratively, to have the story go my way, or be the best story there with the character being just who I wanted him to be. But I wasn't thinking along Narrativist lines--I wasn't thinking about how best to do story right now--instead I was thinking in terms of the people at the table as they related to me and my performance: was I good enough to narrate this stuff and produce the same quality and impress them/myself? Will this do it? And also could I win my Situation (not, could I make it interesting, could I WIN it) by making sure it happened?

Tying that back to Daniel's question, I think one of the reasons you don't see players hurting their own characters in traditional gaming is because there is a large element of Gamism therein, and there's nothing in the game play itself--not as a point of esteem or envy between the people at the table, and ignoring as toothless any systemic attempts to add those things like Flaws and such mechanics--that rewards such behavior, so the players don't even think of doing it.
Rev. Ravenscrye Grey Daegmorgan
Wild Hunt Studio

Daniel B

Quote from: Wolfen on April 20, 2009, 03:31:59 AM
So, first question: Is this really about different types of gamers, or is it actually about the practice of making decisions that are harmful to the specific character in service to making the scene more interesting?
Specifically in the free-form communities, exploration of situation was a very good reason to do this. I allowed my young bardy-roguey character to lose a hand so that I could explore what it'd be like to play a dexterity-based character with only one hand. Now, there wasn't anything mechanical about this, because it was free-form, but it was definitely detrimental to the character.
I assume you're talking specifically about making the tactically non-optimum decision in the fiction, or maybe in character choices (putting points into Teamster, for instance).

Indeed, it's those non-optimum decisions that interest me. Now that you mention it, I have seen these types of decisions made in free-form communities and in MMO games. I suppose any type of game-playing that doesn't specifically power up the character, even including simple idle in-character conversation, is an example of this type of game playing. Your one-handed bard-rogue sounds to me like a fun character to play.. but were you able to get away with it only because the game was freeform? If you had been forced to accept a serious mechanical penalty, would you have stuck with the character? I'm not sure I'd have been comfortable with that.

Quote from: greyorm on April 20, 2009, 08:05:20 AM
This leads to ingrained responses like "my guy" syndrome and "turtle" behavior, where the player becomes super-protective of the character and their own ability to have a real impact on the game because of the way the games they have been a part of have been run and are expected to be run, so they never do anything that might remotely give the GM an opening to "attack" them.
But all of that is traditional gamer culture--they didn't sound any different than any other traditional gaming group I've played with or hung out with and swapped gaming stories with over the past two-and-a-half decades I've been playing--and I think its a good part of the reason you see that behavior you're commenting on of players never harming their own character or putting themselves in a position to have their effectiveness injured or pride or input punished/demeaned.

System does have a bit to do with that, I think, in that many traditional systems only reward you for growing more mechanically powerful and for tactical/strategic thinking in overcoming obstacles, neither of which is served by injuring or penalizing your own character during play (especially given that the GM is already doing that "for" you) -- and also not by providing any rewards for developing an interesting narrative and exploring human issues complete with rising action and (narratively-fortunate) setbacks, especially in that environment (where overcoming obstacles and clever tactical thinking or puzzle-solving is the point of play).

I certainly can't write off the influence of gamer culture, but I'm skeptical that it has had a noticeable effect on the people I've played with. We don't really interact with the gaming community at large (at least, most of them don't, and I didn't until I started doing research for an RPG project.) I've heard of stories of turtle behaviour, but I don't think I've ever actually seen this kind of behaviour, at least towards the GM. I'm hoping this is a sign that myself and the people I've gamed with are at least half-decent GMs. In my case, I learned very early on not to try and direct the stories; I was a very shy person in the old days and my friends at the time were strong-willed (..not in a negative way, though we did get into a couple of good scraps over rules-interpretations).

If anything, I have seen turtle-behaviour result between the players themselves. In a disturbingly recent game, one player was controlling a fighter and another a thief. The players have long had a certain amount of tension between them because of their differing opinions on how to play, and at one point they had a disagreement over what to do next. The fighter's player simply asserted his position, using his character's physical superiority as leverage. The player of the thief simply had his character wander away, which made things a lot more difficult for me as a GM. (As I mentioned, I don't like to control the game as GM; there was no Hand-of-God preventing him from wandering away.)

To give this context with the thread, the fighter's player is a gamist through-and-through, while the thief's player enjoys being clever (be it through manipulation of environment, situation, or NPCs). The latter player is also more like me, preferring to savour the game content versus plowing through it. He would be the type to make less-than-optimal decisions if he decided it was the fun thing to do. However, despite this, he has never actually made a less-than-optimal decision in a live game, even those games that the Gamist-players didn't attend. There seems to be something more restrictive in pen-and-paper RPGs, or something more dangerous, that has driven our players to play not sub-optimally even with our GMs being open to the idea.

Quote from: greyorm on April 20, 2009, 08:05:20 AM
Tying that back to Daniel's question, I think one of the reasons you don't see players hurting their own characters in traditional gaming is because there is a large element of Gamism therein, and there's nothing in the game play itself--not as a point of esteem or envy between the people at the table, and ignoring as toothless any systemic attempts to add those things like Flaws and such mechanics--that rewards such behavior, so the players don't even think of doing it.

This is slightly tangent, but your comments on the rewards or lack thereof in traditional systems are interesting, and a question occurs to me; I don't know why it didn't before. Why would one need to be rewarded for doing what one enjoys? Hypothetically, the fun of the activity should itself be the reward. If I were to play a one-handed bard-rogue, I would do it because the idea of playing such a character sounds like fun, rewards be damned. Along this line of reasoning, maybe games like D&D are better for gamists because it provides them with something they enjoy: winning conditions. Gold and XP would simply be validation; i.e. like a little trophy saying "Good Job, you win." By this logic, maybe the reason my players never choose to play sub-optimally is not because this kind of play is or is not rewarded, but because the actual need itself is left unfulfilled??

Opinions? Disagreements?

Daniel
Arthur: "It's times like these that make me wish I'd listened to what my mother told me when I was little."

John Adams

Quote from: ShallowThoughts on April 21, 2009, 03:30:56 AM
Why would one need to be rewarded for doing what one enjoys? Hypothetically, the fun of the activity should itself be the reward.

In a word, Effectiveness. Specifically, the player's ability to play the game is tied directly to the reward cycle; if you run counter to the reward cycle you diminish your ability to contribute to the game.

Also, don't overlook the importance of structure. "Role-playing" is such a wide open concept, without some kind of formal structure you simply can't do it. Players need something to latch onto, a set of cues to guide play, and a lot of that comes directly from the game text. The reward cycle is a natural place for players to hook in, it's a big flashing sign that says "here's what this game is about".

Ron Edwards

Hi Daniel,

Here's a thread to add to this discussion, specifically my dialogue with Marshall Burns on the third page (but it's good to read the whole thing): Interview with Vincent and me. I talk about why the phobia about character death was cemented so deeply in role-playing culture and design during the 1970s.

I do think the issue boils down to the long-held, long-valued, uncritically-retained notion that if my guy dies, I lose/u] and I have to stop playing. Even the patch-fixes to repair it are still problems insofar as that notion is assumed to be a problem to start with.

Decoupling character death from those two things is a real jolt. It can be done a couple of ways. Sometimes the character's death is part and parcel (and here I speak of the rules) with finishing, which is not the same as losing/quitting. You can find this in my games Trollbabe and Sorcerer, and in games influenced by them like Dogs in the Vineyard. Other times the rules permit the player to contribute exactly as he or she had before. This first showed up in The Mountain Witch based on my playtesting-advice to the author, it also shows up in Grey Ranks based partly on dialogue with me, and as I see it, it takes on its fullest form in my Spione, as well as in Zombie Cinema which is strongly influenced by Spione.

I'm not claiming that this decoupling is a golden key that all games have to have or be "bad." But it's worth considering in full.

Best, Ron

Lance D. Allen

Damned internet.

John, by and large, said what I typed up in a post earlier. He just said it more concisely.

The fact that what we sit down at a table to do is a game shouldn't be ignored. Every game has things that can be sussed out as win conditions, if you're looking for them. If character effectiveness is obviously the means to those win conditions, then it would be losing behavior to disadvantage yourself in effectiveness. In this way, both your fighter friend and your thief friend are 'gamist'. They've just picked out different win conditions. Fighter dude believes that if the bad guys are dead, it's a win. Thief dude believes that if you have to resort to the direct brute-force approach, it's a loss.

to answer your question to me specifically, Marius (my roguish bard) was compensated for the loss of his hand. He lost some naivete, got a little bit tougher from enduring the pain, and gained a well of strength to draw upon by having to overcome the hardship. He grew in ways that were important in that community. Eventually, he even grew in proficiency, but that's another story. Had I a mechanical penalty, I would have expected it to be balanced out in a similar fashion as I described, or had some sort of meta-balance, such as a merits and flaws system. Were the loss of the hand a mechanical result of my actions in play, and didn't come with balances, I would have accepted that as I would anything else. If the character became unfun to play though, I probably would have retired him appropriately (possibly with another brashly brave assault on superior odds).

It comes down to how you interface with the game and fiction. If player effectiveness is your vehicle, you don't hurt that. If player effectiveness is only one option, or merely color, then it becomes a fair target for harmful decisions. The Riddle of Steel is an example that comes to mind. The main part of the game is crunchy simulation of physics and causality, but the beating heart is the Spiritual Attributes, which can, when pounding out loud and hard, make your character's stats nearly meaningless. What are a couple deep stab wounds when the six-fingered man is before you? You can make dramatic negative choices when it doesn't hinder your ability to contribute in a fun and meaningful manner.
~Lance Allen
Wolves Den Publishing

Daniel B

8-O   .. woah, bzing! Great points, John and Ron .. I asked for a crumb of food for thought, and that's a feast. Muchas Gracias both.

Quote from: Wolfen on April 21, 2009, 03:11:58 PM
The fact that what we sit down at a table to do is a game shouldn't be ignored. Every game has things that can be sussed out as win conditions, if you're looking for them.

Hmmmmmmm, not sure I agree 100% with that. Granted virtually all games have win conditions, but I'd hesitate to jump to all games; how about collaborative story-telling? Mad-Libs? Games like that "Who's Line Is It Anyway?" show on television? (Gawd I loved that show..) This is where is gets interesting .. games that HAVE no win condition but are fun anyway.

Quote from: Wolfen on April 21, 2009, 03:11:58 PM
If the character became unfun to play though, I probably would have retired him appropriately (possibly with another brashly brave assault on superior odds).
What are a couple deep stab wounds when the six-fingered man is before you? You can make dramatic negative choices when it doesn't hinder your ability to contribute in a fun and meaningful manner.

Indeed. I think this sums it up nicely. In traditional games, your ability to contribute diminishes as you lose power (or don't keep pace in power with the other players).

Dan

greyorm

Quote from: ShallowThoughts on April 22, 2009, 12:51:31 AM...but I'd hesitate to jump to all games; how about collaborative story-telling? Mad-Libs? Games like that "Who's Line Is It Anyway?" show on television? (Gawd I loved that show..) This is where is gets interesting .. games that HAVE no win condition but are fun anyway.

Well, I don't think you're seeing the win conditions in those games because they aren't blatant or necessarily apparent. Yet they are there. Mad-Libs? Make the funniest mad-lib is easily a win condition. Whose Line Is It? Be the most entertaining or clever can be a win condition. All games have win conditions, even if they don't seem to be the point of the game, expressed as such in the game, or are invented by the players as an unconscious social measure between participants or internally to the self.

QuoteIndeed. I think this sums it up nicely. In traditional games, your ability to contribute diminishes as you lose power (or don't keep pace in power with the other players).

I think that's a good summary, too. But don't think about it in purely mechanical trade-offs, there are subtle social and creative trade-offs as well that can cause the same situation.
Wild Hunt Studio

Lance D. Allen

::points to Raven, then touches the tip of his nose::

Right in one. That's why I said that every game has things that can be sussed out as win conditions. Figured out. Determined. It's not always stated, or obvious. Ya just gotta look. Sometimes, the stated game rules will tell you that there is no win or lose. Frankly, from my perspective, that's bullshit. If you can't determine a win condition, it's not a game. But that's a whole 'nother discussion. Raven threw out the obvious win conditions for your examples though, so I got nothin' there.

QuoteI think that's a good summary, too. But don't think about it in purely mechanical trade-offs, there are subtle social and creative trade-offs as well that can cause the same situation.

See now here's where I'm scratching my head; Reduced character effectiveness doesn't mechanically reduce your ability to contribute. It is PURELY the social and creative constraints that do that. I mean, nothing mechanical about my character losing a hand reduces my ability to contribute to the fiction. It constrains the ways I may contribute (I can't realistically have Marius juggle anymore, after all, but I can have him struggle to learn to play a harp-like instrument). If the people in the group decide that a lost hand means that my contributions in combat are to be discounted, though...

Games that offer other mechanical means of contribution get around that, somewhat, but the reception of your contributions is always socially determined.
~Lance Allen
Wolves Den Publishing

greyorm

Quote from: Wolfen on April 22, 2009, 09:26:13 AMSee now here's where I'm scratching my head

Sorry, Lance, that was directed towards Dan as a "don't get stuck on this point" sort of thing, in case he was thinking "My character was stabbed, so he lost hit points or has a reduced Dexterity, which is what reduces my ability to contribute" or "I'm out of spells, so I can't contribute to play any more this session." (Which I may not have even needed to say because he might not have thought that.)
Wild Hunt Studio

Ron Edwards

Speaking as an experienced observer of these threads, not as iron-fisted moderator, I suggest that the issue of win conditions is veering into a new and not necessarily helpful direction. The word "win" means very different things to different people. Everyone's posted something interesting and made arguable points, but my usual views about actual play as a communication-touchstone are kicking in.

The real issue, and now I guess I am moving into moderator mode, is for Daniel: based on your last post, the thread has at least shined some light on your initial question. Unless you really have some remaining issue with that question's content, it's probably time to let it be a done (or "won") thread. Alternately, with the new light on the subject, I know that I'd like to see an account from you of a play-experience in which character death illustrates exactly the viewpoint from which you posed the question.

Best, Ron

Paul Czege

Hey Ron,

Quote from: Ron Edwards on April 21, 2009, 10:29:13 AMDecoupling character death from those two things is a real jolt. It can be done a couple of ways. Sometimes the character's death is part and parcel (and here I speak of the rules) with finishing, which is not the same as losing/quitting. You can find this in my games Trollbabe and Sorcerer, and in games influenced by them like Dogs in the Vineyard. Other times the rules permit the player to contribute exactly as he or she had before. This first showed up in The Mountain Witch based on my playtesting-advice to the author, it also shows up in Grey Ranks based partly on dialogue with me, and as I see it, it takes on its fullest form in my Spione, as well as in Zombie Cinema which is strongly influenced by Spione.

And what influenced you originally was...Everway?

Paul
"[My Life with Master] is anything but a safe game to have designed. It has balls, and then some. It is as bold, as fresh, and as incisive  now as it was when it came out." -- Gregor Hutton

Judd

Hey Daniel,

The Olden Days

So, I can think back to AD&D 2nd edition and some kits were just better than others.  One kit got you an extra skill, another got you extra skills and a giant tiger to ride.  And sometimes folks chose the shittier kit to tag on to their class because it fit the character.  This was seen as a sub-optimal choice but good role-playing.  We kinda gave each other an attaboy for doing it and then whooped and cheered at how cool our giant tigers were while Joe Role-Play had his extra skill and meaningful color.

I can think back to Champions too, where you had, let's say, 250 points to spend and 50 more points if you took 50 additional disadvantages.  Of course you took the 50 more points and had a dependent child and were hunted by the super-powered mob.  Those 50 points went a LONG way towards making your character optimal and useful in play and plus, it is cool to be hunted by the mob and have a kid to take care of when you are not super-heroing.

And Now

Now, thinking to how I enjoy playing now, let's say with Burning Wheel, which of all the games I own, is the one I keep coming back to the most in the past 5 years or so.

In that game, I put myself in a rough spot and give myself Beliefs that will create drama.  When I create a Burning Wheel character through the lifepath system, I squeeze every resource point I can.  I have seen players say things like, "Well, I really wanted X skill, so I guess my mercenary captain spent some time as a Freebooter and that is cool; it changes him a bit but it works for me and adds a fun dimension to the character."

So, nowadays, I like to create a competent character and put him in a cool situation (orcs whose horde was destroyed and are now stuck behind enemy lines in elven territory, bastard whose father is attempting to usurp the young king, hostages from the steppe nomads whose family was killed by the current reigning khan) and then play like hell, fight like a tiger to get what my character wants on his Beliefs.

I think also to Sorcerer, where the GM and the player make the player's starting demon together and I notice the system-savvy players watching how many powers we add on, being careful as to how powerful that demon becomes.  They don't want to get too deep in the hole.  Then their kickers put them in the hole and the system asks them how far are they willing to go to get out of it or to even rise above that hole and rule the roost.

So, to answer your question, I think system has a whole lot to do with it, as does the vibe at the table.  At some tables, making a less than optimal 3e or 4e character would just be seen as dumb.  At others, its an attaboy and some table respect.

I'm kinda done with attaboys.  Lately, I want a system that let's me fight tooth and nail against a shitty situation that me and my friends created.

Hope that makes sense.

Daniel B

Hello,

I'm with Ron's moderation that the thread shouldn't go in the "what is fun" direction. (I'd be glad to debate it in another thread somewhere but it feels hideously opinion-heavy. I love debates like that but maybe too messy for a Forge forum.)

As for my own play experiences..

It's mostly been a vague feeling I've had during the course of my RPGing "career". That said, the issue has come to the forefront very recently for me, because I began playing in a campaign where the moons aligned, and I saw an opportunity to play one of the underdog races for the first time. (You know them: goblin, kobold, gnoll, etc. etc.) I've always wanted to play an underdog race for the roleplaying opportunities: misunderstood, trying to survive in a land of bigots etc. etc. I never have, however, because the AD&D 2nd Edition evil races SUCKED. Furthermore, since the upgrade to D&D v3/3.5, I've spent most time DMing, and those times I wasn't a DM, these races weren't appropriate for the campaign. Now, in this recent campaign, I'm both a player, the evil races are an appropriate race (because they fit the world and aren't killed on sight necessarily),  and the Goblin race in particular is actually fairly decent, powerwise, especially as a thief.

The above line of thinking just goes towards what the whole post is about. I only chose to play a Goblin because I didn't feel it to be underpowered.. but I think I'd have played one LONG ago if "something" wasn't in the way, I've never been sure what. (That whole discussion of the entanglement of "losing the game" with character death may be the key.. or maybe I'm just greedy  :D )

Quote from: Paka on April 22, 2009, 04:54:39 PM
So, to answer your question, I think system has a whole lot to do with it, as does the vibe at the table.  At some tables, making a less than optimal 3e or 4e character would just be seen as dumb.  At others, its an attaboy and some table respect.

Agreed.

Daniel