What's at Stake in Dogs -- who leads?

Started by Paul T, May 14, 2009, 03:55:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul T

I have this intuition, and it's really just a guess, that the game plays better when the players are naming the "What's at Stake" in a conflict. Like, "Does the Steward agree to give up his second bride?"

It seems that the game would be a bit awkward if all the conflicts were initiated and pressed by the GM: as though the Dogs were being pushed this way and that.

How do you name What's at Stake? Together? Whoever does it first?

If my intuition is right, how can a GM encourage the Dogs to initiate those conflicts?

Or does this always tend to emerge happily in play, no special techniques required?

Filip Luszczyk

Interesting. I've just opened my book to search for the piece of advice on asking the players to reduce the scope of too broad stakes. I'm sure it was there, but can't find it now. Instead, what I've suddenly bumped into is the "Drive play toward conflict" section (p. 138) which, as I'm reading it now, seems to say it's the GM's job to launch a conflict. Given that the "How To GM" chapter appears to address the GM specifically, I guess the players are not the ones to invoke the conflict procedure.

Which is totally not how we used to play it. The way we used to play it, anybody could initiate a conflict.

Stakes, however, are another thing. Most often it was not as much about deciding what's at stake as identifying that thing, and it generally emerged naturally from the already established circumstances. So, it didn't really matter who named it, as most of the time it was rather obvious.

(Oh, I've found the rule I've been looking for, right in the conflict procedure itself - oddly, where I expected it the least. P. 54, "The Simple Case", the first point, and the "GMing Conflicts", p. 76-77. The way I read it, it seems the players can suggest the stakes, but in the end, the GM has a final word. Also, now I can see some examples where it seems like it's the player who launches a conflict. Still, I fail to locate an explicit instruction for that in the procedure, other than that p. 138 rule.)

lumpley

The game plays best if anybody and everybody launches conflicts and names the stakes, whenever they want, all willy nilly with no set procedures. Sometimes the GM should absolutely set stakes, but sometimes every player absolutely should.

Everybody has to agree to the stakes before you roll dice, that's the only rule about it.

By the time you're actually playing, you've been through 3 or 4 initiations, so everybody's perfectly accustomed to collaborating on launching conflicts.

-Vincent

Filip Luszczyk

So, if I understand you right, the correct procedure that should be in the game text is "anybody is allowed to launch a conflict, anytime?"

Great.

lumpley

Nope. The rule is on page 54, first full paragraph, first sentence. No individual player launches conflicts, the group does.

Who should set stakes is also on page 54, point 1 of the simple case.

-Vincent

Filip Luszczyk

Then, I'm either confused by your previous clarification or I fail to see how the correct procedure differs.

On p. 54 I see no explicit rule for the transition from "out-of-conflict phase" to "conflict phase", as the text jumps right into establishing stakes. Sure, it is implicit, but based on that part of the text alone it is in no way clear whether the conflict is actually initiated by any single player, by the GM or by the whole group (though it's difficult for me to imagine "the group" doing it in a precise step by step procedure, unless it's some sort of hive mind group - obviously, a single person at the table will have to take initiative at some point and say it out loud that he or she wants a conflict started). However, later in the text, p. 138 supplements the procedure with the rule for "out-of-conflict" -> "conflict" transition (i.e. "say yes or roll the dice"), though the text remains ambiguous regarding who can invoke the rule (i.e. the section might be seen as addressing the GM, while the book includes examples of a single player launching a conflict). Finally, pages 76-77 expand the procedure for establishing stakes, clearly pointing at the GM as the person responsible for accepting the stakes proposed (and provide the GM with instructions on how to establish standards for that, i.e. "follow the group's lead", which in turn translates to "follow the single most critical player's lead").

This rulebook is starting to drive me crazy.

lumpley

Hey Paul, if you have any more questions, shout out, I'm happy to answer them. Filip's kind of taking the thread over, but don't let him do it if you have more to ask.

Filip, the explicit rule for the transition from "out-of-conflict phase" to "conflict phase" follows. Page 53, first sentence of the overview: "We'll [meaning the group will, of course] use dice to resolve the conflicts the characters get into." Then page 54, first full paragraph, first sentence: "to launch a conflict, we [meaning the group, of course] begin by establishing what's at stake, setting the stage, and figuring out who's participating."

Is a character in conflict? Cool, we'll use dice to resolve it. We begin by establishing as a group what's at stake, setting as a group the stage, and figuring out as a group who's participating. Later text goes into those in more detail, but there's the rule, plain as can be.

If nobody in your group can tell whether one character's in conflict with another, page 138 has some good advice, and there's more throughout the book, plus you've got the model of the initiation conflicts. But if you seriously STILL can't tell whether one character's in conflict with another, I despair, and please play a different game.

-Vincent

Filip Luszczyk

Vincent,

It's not like I can't produce a rule myself or hack the rules presented or whatever should I need it - however, that's totally not why I'm asking my questions. I'm asking because I want to know what the precise rule is in the game, and the rulebook frequently appears to be saying something entirely different than your reformulation here on the forum. Oddly, the longer I play this game, the more difficult it is for me to say whether I'm following correct procedures or not. Also, due to the way information in the rulebook is structured (and often implied rather than presented explicitly) locating answers in the text immediately is less than easy (in the middle of the session, consulting the book becomes essentialy impossible).

Now, I can see which of the rules on p. 54 you meant in your previous post. While I find it somewhat strange that a rule mentioned in the overview didn't make it's way to the detailed point by point procedure, I still fail to understand how it is different from "anybody is allowed to launch a conflict, anytime", in practice.

lumpley

It's not "anybody is allowed to launch a conflict, anytime" because nobody's allowed to call for the dice if there aren't characters in conflict.

-Vincent

Moreno R.

Filip,

I didn't notice that rule, too, but thinking about it, I always played DitV using it. Why? Because of the effect of the "most critical player" and "veto" rules: the stakes have to be discussed with the GM who has to adhere to the most strict standard at the table, with full veto power to everybody else: it's obvious that everybody has to agree to the stakes. That rule only make it explicit.

What would happen if anybody could declare conflict and stakes by himself, without everybody at the table agreeing? Using this rule in DitV would mean that, for example, if the GM is fast enough he could declare a conflict before you do and turn a possible gunfight in a dance match (the example is silly, but it's to exaggerate the difference that you failed to understand).
Ciao,
Moreno.

(Excuse my errors, English is not my native language. I'm Italian.)

Filip Luszczyk

Vincent,

This is difficult. It's a matter of rules wording. "Nobody is allowed to call for the dice if there aren't any characters in a conflict" would contradict, wording considered, your clarification from your first post in this thread, i.e. "The game plays best if anybody and everybody launches conflicts and names the stakes, whenever they want." I fail to see how "whenever they want" is different from my "anytime" reformulation. However, you say it's incorrect, which I find strange - it seems to me that we are trying to communicate the same thing effectively, while you insist those are two different things. Specifically, it seems to me that when you said "whenever they want" you wanted to imply "provided there are characters in conflict in the first place", which is effectively the same I'm assuming in my "anytime" reformulation. We're talking conflicts the whole time, how would you have a conflict with nobody in it, for the love of God.

So I guess we are either both incorrect, both correct, or we're experiencing some sort of quantum anomaly.

Filip Luszczyk

Moreno,

Yes, I think that's how we've played it normally, though now Vincent is sort of confusing me.

Second by second, I see it like this:

1. Somebody (anybody) processes the information and notices a conflict.
2. Somebody (anybody) who did the above announces that.
3. Say yes or roll the dice is applied.
4. Nobody announces "yes".
5. Somebody (the way we played it, anybody, though p.138 suggests the GM) announces "roll the dice". No "veto" possible regarding that at this point (I think).
6. Somebody (anybody) announces stakes.
7. The GM checks whether "the most critical player" rule applies.
8. If not, the stakes are set.
9. Otherwise, go to 6.

(With some space for suggestions and discussion between steps.)

Which amounts to "the group does it", though only in simplification, as obviously at any given moment only a single infividual player is actually doing something.

Paul T

Vincent,

I think this makes sense to me. You're describing a pretty collaborative process, with the group applying the mechanics together as they best see fit, as opposed to a strict by-rules approach.

However (and this question goes for anyone), as a GM, should I be looking out for how often I (or others) call for conflicts and name what's at stake? Because I feel that if I, as GM, start initiating a lot of conflicts and naming those stakes, it'd be a bit like rolling over the players, leaving them on their heels, defensive-like.

Is this something I just shouldn't worry about? If I SHOULD worry about it, what are some good guidelines? What seems to work best in play?

lumpley

I wouldn't worry about it. Ask me again after your second or third session if your worries come true in actual play.

-Vincent

Paul T