Where to post this?

Started by Robert Bohl, August 27, 2009, 11:45:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Bohl

Mod-folks, Joshua A. C. Newman and I have a new project that's both a podcast and a developing game design. I think it's pretty new and interesting and I wanted to let the Forge folk know about it in case they don't already. Where would be appropriate to post about this? I'm guessing Endeavor, but since it involves a game design I'm not sure.
Game:
Misspent Youth: Ocean's 11 + Avatar: The Last Airbender + Snow Crash
Shows:
Oo! Let's Make a Game!: Joshua A.C. Newman and I make a transhumanist RPG

Ron Edwards

Hi Rob,

If other people are permitted to participate, then Endeavor's the place. But if it's more about showcasing what you and Joshua are doing, then it's actually - if you can believe it - a form of promotion for the game in development, and hence Publishing seems like a good home for describing it.

Please try to make the post not merely an announcement, but rather include information about how you're doing it, what someone else might consider as options if they tried something similar, or other community-utility thoughts you might have.

Best, Ron

Robert Bohl

I think we want people to participate in the sense of offering advice, commentary, ideas on ways to accomplish things we didn't think of, but in terms of being on the show, probably not. So I guess publishing, then.

Thanks!
Game:
Shows:

Ben Lehman

Quote from: Robert Bohl on August 27, 2009, 02:27:24 PM
I think we want people to participate in the sense of offering advice, commentary, ideas on ways to accomplish things we didn't think of, but in terms of being on the show, probably not. So I guess publishing, then.

Thanks!

If you want advice, commentary, and ideas on a game design in progress, that hasn't been playtested, why not First Thoughts?

yrs--
--Ben

Robert Bohl

Ben, I had considered that, too. It's a weird amalgam so I wasn't sure where it belonged.
Game:
Shows:

lumpley

I've listened to the podcast and if it were my call I'd put it in First Thoughts.

-Vincent

Ron Edwards

Well, hold on. I'm going by your first post, Rob, in which you stated that you wanted to post about the podcast. I'll lay it out for you:

1. To discuss the game in design, as a game, then post in First Thoughts. The podcast is entirely irrelevant, although you could point to it as a related internet feature.

2. To discuss the podcast itself, as a thing you and Joshua are doing, then post in Publishing.

3. To engage people in some specific on-line activity (i.e. not merely discussion), then post in Endeavor. (It looks as if you're not doing this.)

People are bouncing around trying to guess which you mean and falling into the trap of "He could mean, so ..." That's no good. I need you to be absolutely clear about what you want to post about this activity here, and what for here. When you do that, the forum you need will be immediately apparent.

Best, Ron

Best, Ron