Asian printers and who knows anything about them

Started by Eero Tuovinen, March 15, 2010, 03:19:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eero Tuovinen

I have some vague memory of one or two people around here having tried out Chinese printers for their rpg products. I have a non-rpg hardcover book in the pipeline, one where it might or might not make sense to do the printing in some far-away cheap country. I'm looking for printer recommendations and other observations on the idea of using an Asian printer; it seems a bit difficult to just start calling printers for quotes when I have no basis at all for picking the reliable operators from scams in something like this.

So if anybody can remember who has used an over-seas printing solution, I can contact the person himself in private. I have this vague idea that Luke Crane might have printed Burning Empires in China, but I don't really remember any basis for this fragment of memory.
Blogging at Game Design is about Structure.
Publishing Zombie Cinema and Solar System at Arkenstone Publishing.

hix

Hi Eero,

I'm pretty sure that when Thor blogged extensively about the production process for Burning Empires he mentioned the Chinese printer.... Yes, here's the link:

http://urdwell.blogspot.com/2006/08/burning-empires-from-inception-to.html
Cheers,
Steve

Find out more about Left Coast (a game about writers, inspired by the life of Philip K. Dick) on Twitter: @leftcoastrpg

Eero Tuovinen

Ah, that answers that question - excellent. Any other experiences with overseas printing, anybody?

Gregor Hutton

Games-wise: I have no experience of printing in Asia-Pacific.

Real-World-wise: I have a fair bit of experience. Thanks to a careful selection of printers (by people visiting them on site and so on) I've found the experience very rewarding. The print quality, customer service and price of the printers I've used in Singapore and Malaysia has been excellent.

I suspect you can find many China, Singapore and Malaysia printer suppliers on the internet these days.

Hey, I found this Singapore Printers listings site online fairly easily and I recognise more than a few of those names (all in a good way).

For instance, I've always had a great experience with Fabulous Printers (they really live up to their name): http://www.fabulousprinters.com/

I see Lithographic Print House have a Gold Listing -- that looks interesting.

You should contact the printers on that page and get quotes. I guess you'll have to factor in shipping from Singapore, but the print people out there should be able to advise you.

Eero Tuovinen

Ah hah. Thanks Gregor, that's very helpful. With this and what I got from Luke I'm well on my way in this research.