[DitV] Gunfighting questions

Started by Keith, October 17, 2010, 09:56:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keith

If I missed this somewhere, apologies! I couldn't find it in the book or skimming the forums.

When do you roll Acuity + Will for gunfighting versus just rolling a gun's stats?

I had a player's initiation conflict start in the gunfighting arena because they were trying to hit a target. The whole idea was, "I hope my character overcomes her crippling insecurity." She was insecure about not being the son her father wanted, gender issues, etc. So it was all about appearances in front of the boys at the Temple while she practiced. I gave her Acuity + Will, and also the gun's stats.

Later on, in the first town, she pulls back her coat to reveal her gun against her opponent, like, "You keep fucking around, you get this." I told her to roll just the gun's stats. I told her that since she was just threatening, wasn't actually gun-fighting. They stayed in the Just Talking arena.

Even later, same opponent, she fires her gun over the woman's head. She's got her gun out. I'm a bit unsure if this counts as escalating to gun fighting, because it's one-sided. She reminds me about her initiation conflict, and that target she was hitting certainly wasn't fighting back. I agree. But I'm still unclear if gunfights involve an actual fight, against people, or if it's just the act of firing a gun and having it ready.

What I told her is, "Fine, but you have to accept the consequences of her getting shot, if that should happen. Like if she takes the blow or something."

But when does it count as gunfighting versus not?
- Keith Blocker

lumpley

Correct! If taking the blow means getting shot, it's a gunfighting raise. If it doesn't, it isn't.

Target shooting should probably be acuity and heart.

- Vincent

Noclue

Interesting. Why not physical, using body plus heart?
James R.

lumpley

It could be physical, sure.

If you're just talking, and then you shoot a target to make your point, that's pretty clearly escalating to physical.

If you're having a target shoot to see who impresses whom, it could be either physical or social, GM's call.

- Vincent

Keith

Quote from: lumpley on October 17, 2010, 02:10:13 PM
If you're just talking, and then you shoot a target to make your point, that's pretty clearly escalating to physical.

I actually don't see this! How does that make it physical? Maybe I'm misunderstanding how the Physical arena works? I always figured it to be physical contact between one party and another.
- Keith Blocker

Noclue

Not necessarily. Physical but not fighting is doing something physical. Sometimes its standing in their way looking aggressive. Sometimes it's knocking over a table. Sometimes it's loudly slamming the book of life closed at the lectern.
James R.