Special Attack Questions

Started by twztdwndpipe, December 20, 2010, 11:10:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twztdwndpipe

Dindenver.

I like the idea. But I'm afraid that it would complicate it more than the math. I was trying to keep the math simple as attackers Aim vs defenders (Block or Parry) and Then Damage - Armor on hit.

Jason J. Patterson

So given the advice you've gotten and your time to work on it since then, what DO you have now, and what do you feel you're still lacking. This last post by you pretty clearly outlines exactly what you want - why is that NOT your system? What is missing? What is making that not feasible?
"VVVVOOOOLLLLTTAAAAANNNNN, you will DDIIIEEE by my sword."

Ar Kayon

You were asking earlier why players would want to invest exp in a special technique.  Damage values aside, could you think of ways that would give each movement a unique trait that cannot be found in the others?

twztdwndpipe

BINGO! thats what I'm looking for. Creative, Uniqueness. I just can't think of what exactly. I don't want the creativeness to be just descriptive, I was hoping someone had some mechanical ideas. Status effects were good! I've started using those. And now I've started moving things around besides Damage. I.E. attacks that effect an enemys Balance and Grip on their weapon. I finally started writing out my attacks, But now I'm on to trying to make each character class differ from one another. My char classes are.

Gunslinger
Large Weapon
Standard weapon
Angellic Host
Demon Host
Hand 2 Hand
Cybernetic
Spiritual

I just bought Star Ocean So I'm getting ideas. I've added diffrent types of character descriptions also that kinda handle not only the look, but traits of a character, like

Large Char - Strength max 20 Speed max 5
Small Char - Strength max 5 Speed max 20

along with a blocking system of Parry or Block roll vs Aim roll.

I think I'm worrying myself a little much. but things are panning out.
I appreciate all the help! I will still check back here for any other ideas someone may throw at me, but I am starting to work things out!

Ar Kayon

Can you give us some examples of some status effects you have come up with? 

twztdwndpipe

Of Course.
Things like

-Crippled- * (*)
   Enemys attacks to * less damage for (*) turns

-Blind- * (*)
   Enemy has -* aim for (*) turns

-Terrified * (no more than 5) (*)-
   Enemy must make a roll against * when he attacks for (*) turns. If the result is under * then he may proceed to attack. If the result is above * The attack is an immediate failure and loss of turn.

-Weakend armor- * (*)
    Enemy suffers -* to his armor

-Nervous- * (*)
     Enemys Block or Evade is -* for (*) turns

Shaky Hands *(*)
     Enemys Grip is reduced by * for (*) turns

Weak Knees * (*)
    Enemys Balance is -* for (*) turns

Thats about it. I was also thinking of adding elemental turn damage. So that way a character could also pick an element, or even learn an elemental version of their attacks. Ohhh! Maybe I could add in elements in the stats, which could buff up certain elements. Then, when a player learns an attack, they have the option to upgrade it later by adding an elemental value to the damage too! But If I do this, I want a A is weaker than B but stronger than C type deal.

I.E.

Ice is Weak against fire (Half damage)
But strong against say Water (Double Damage)

Then I could even add in elements to the armor.

Gosh, I wish there was an easy way to add in attack location....Maybe a D6 roll with locational properties?  Or I could get a blank D6 and draw the parts lol.

Ar Kayon

In what situations would it be advantageous to use one special attack over another?  For example, when would be a good time to use blind rather than nervous, terrified, blind, etc.?

Ar Kayon

*Typo; I meant to say, "rather than nervous, terrified, crippled, etc."

twztdwndpipe

I guess in all situations, It would really depend on who your fighting. Like some characters that Hit easier, but have a lower damage. So in that case, you lower their Aim and their not hitting you to easily, and when they do, it's not for much damage.

I think I'm going to do Max stats, and change them for each character type, I'm just afraid that would mess things up when you mix two characters types.

Ar Kayon

So what you're saying is that your tactics will be largely dependent upon an opponent's attributes?  Does the environment influence these tactics in any way?

twztdwndpipe

The only way the enviroment could play a part would be through gun fights. Which would only make use of cover. Right? Thats the only thing that comes to mind to me.

twztdwndpipe

Oh, and not quite their attributes, but more their playing style. Counter attacker, Ranged fighter, In your face melee. Theres the possibility with those, Some Character types prefer mid to long range, so they have knockback attacks.

Also, some players will want to round their character out. So they pick a ranged and a close combat type and try to do the all round thing. I just don't want the rounded characters to be overly powerful.

twztdwndpipe

OKay, scrapping the "combo" and "spirit" stats on the char sheet. Replacing them with Action Points. To allow movement and everything else in between.