Coordinating a Game With Hundreds of Players

Started by rolepages, April 29, 2011, 06:50:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rolepages

I have an online community called http://www.RolePages.com and we have several thousand members all of whom are relatively active. While the style of this community is very free form open play, with few restrictions about what can or cannot happen, there is also an underlying storyline which is maintained as a common thread through the use of Administrative GM guidance, and a newspaper known as the Chronicle Society.

It is quite difficult keeping several thousand members all on the same story line. I find that keeping things very general is the best way to do this. Giving everyone a common location, and possible a single over riding enemy, and then allowing them to choose how to interact with these elements appears to be the best method.

Sometimes we do have problems, but by maintaining a working relationship with the members of the site we are able to keep things rather civil, and people seem to be motivated to participate.

I feel like what we have created on that site is sort of a living novel, that keeps growing and changing every single day.

I'd love to hear any feedback that the rest of you may have on my project. Thank you.