Online PDF Retailers (who did what and why?)

Started by Ben, May 02, 2011, 10:30:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben

As the time of publication draws near, I find myself in a quandary about which online store (I have a short list of them) to go with.
I was curious about other people's choice in this matter.
Who did you go with and why?
Did you go with more than one?
Be Seeing You,

Ben
www.ludusmerx.com

Pelgrane

Rpgnow/dtrpg is the strongest presence in the market, with the lion's share of the sales. They attempt to discourage you from using other sites by offering exclusive publishers 70% as opposed to 65% of your sale price. They have excellent online marketing tools.

IPR sell PDFs, too, and pay 85% to publishers.  If you are accepted, this is the best margin you will get apart from the direct sales you should certainly be doing.

e23 again offers decent margins; 80% of price, but the sales are very low.

There are a few others such as Paizo.

The important thing to remember is that, with the exception of rpgnow, there is very little crossover, so new outlets generally mean additional sales. Rpgnow will eat your direct sales, but the volumes are so high, it's still worthwhile.

Ben

Thank you Pelgrane, that was most informative.
Be Seeing You,

Ben
www.ludusmerx.com

Davik of Kent

I publish my own PDF gaming map CD hosted by Payloadz.com They also have a nice affiliate program so you can get your minions working for you! The following link is to my website where I advertise the CD.

http://witherwindgames.blogspot.com/p/cartography_460.html