[Streed Rpg] Idea confusion.

Started by Catelf, May 24, 2011, 10:18:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Catelf

I am troubled.
I have so many ideas, and i essentially wants to possibly turn all of them into Rpg's.

I have tried to summarize my preferred genres(i got some help elsewhere, in a way), and come to these conclusions:
* All games will include some kind animal anthros( or "furries" ), that is playable, either directly, or indirectly.
* For simplicity, the basic setting is supposed to be some kind of "Modern".
* I'd like to include at least a little of Magic, and/or Mecha.
* I seem to be leaning towards some Magic, and adventures similar to TombRaider, The Mummy, and possibly Hellboy. .... and some touch of CoC, perhaps.

The problem i have, is really figuring out in what direction i should go.
It should be obvious, but i need to discuss ideas in order to understand which ones feels more proper.

Here's the mandatory link to the Game's basic Rules ...
http://www.mediafire.com/?p1v8l1kkjqly6

DarkHawkPro

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Eyes,_Small_Mouth

I'll get a link to a PDF of the main book..  The system is a lot of fun and has just what your looking for.  It was a great things, but the company tried to get on the D20 bandwagon and anyone that was watching the market at the time  it seemed that the D20 project was a massive cleanser of smaller companies, wiping them out one at a time..  as they pulled away from their own products and original ideas....   anyway...   i'll get you a link to the main book PDF here in a bit..

DarkHawkPro

http://fbosley.webs.com/BESM.torrent

this torrent link gets the whole system.
Since the company is dead and the books are out of print, this is the best way to get them.
They have everything your asking for ad more, and it all works together.

DarkHawkPro

i'd focus more on 2nd edition,   3rd edition they tried to change the core mechanics to something new and it killed the whole line.  so just ignore that..  :)

Catelf

Quote from: DarkHawkPro on May 24, 2011, 10:32:49 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Eyes,_Small_Mouth

I'll get a link to a PDF of the main book..  The system is a lot of fun and has just what your looking for.  It was a great things, but the company tried to get on the D20 bandwagon and anyone that was watching the market at the time  it seemed that the D20 project was a massive cleanser of smaller companies, wiping them out one at a time..  as they pulled away from their own products and original ideas....   anyway...   i'll get you a link to the main book PDF here in a bit..
I have the Second ed softback.
If it had been what i was looking for, i would not have posted here.

It has a huge amount of settings ideas, and has already inspired me in that way, but now i need something else .....

DarkHawkPro

Alright,  just mentioned it as a point of reference.  No point in starting from scratch sometimes if you can get what you want with a simple mod.

you have a lot of data there but to what end?
what are you trying to make.  Just something simple that works across the board to deal with the randomness of the story, or are you having mechanics help tell the story..
Roll Vs. Role..   that sort of thing.. 

Catelf

I have mainly used White Wolf's so-called "Storytelling system" as a base.

But even there, there are several options that are possible.
I have the Rules to deal with Combat, Skillchecks and such.
Roleplaying is not ruled by Rules.
... Was that what you meant?

What i am trying to make .... on a grand scale, something similar to WoD, but more "Manga"-like, however, for right now ....
Something like a mix between D20 Modern, TMNT, and CoC, but with the rules system i made instead.

The Rules are supposed to be fast and simple, so they don't take too much time from the Roleplaying, and roleplaying during fighting is fully ok.
Magic may be slower, for more than one reason, though.

And to answer a question Ron gave me during my last attempt, that i didn't manage then:
* Why would anyonone play this game(if ignoring the rules)?
For the possibility of playing a Tomb-raiding Furry, or alongside one or several of them, not knowing if the threat you'll meet next will be a Neo-nazi, a Thug, a Beduin, a Skeleton, or something Unspeakable, and if need be, track an item in a city to retrive it there instead.
Usually before, anthropomorphic beings as such, has been among the "bad guys" in settings like these, but now, the get to be among the "good" instead.
That is why this game should be played.

DarkHawkPro

I've played in a  fantastic "Any-thing Goes" style of game before and the home-brew system was fantastic. 
you'll need to make skills abstract and character concept dependent. 
Such as, but this imposes limitations.. 

Like the rouge has a Melee Weapons skill at the same level as the Barbarian, but the rouge will never pick up the barbarian's claymore and try to back-stab with it.. it's not conceptual.
Or the Computer Hacker and the Special Forces Guy have electronic security skills..  but the special forces guy can use it to hot wire a car and the hacker can't..

But this requires players who ROLEPLAY.  and not spend hours trying to break the system..

I also like the Di system you have, but to give it the more "Anime/Manga" feel allow for exploding dice.   something like    a die can explode up to the base attribute.. 
This gives weaker characters a chance to be awesome though pure luck. 

For instance.. 

"The Kid" Character in a moment of panic picks up a shard of metal off the ground and stabs at his attacker..   
He has a strength of 2 and a melee of 1, plus the shard makes it a 3.. 
he rolls his D4.   He gets a 4..  he rolls again and gets another 4..  making his total 8.  He stops rolling since his base stat is 2. 

*continues pondering*

Catelf

Quote from: DarkHawkPro on May 24, 2011, 04:34:48 PM

I also like the Di system you have, but to give it the more "Anime/Manga" feel allow for exploding dice.   something like    a die can explode up to the base attribute.. 
This gives weaker characters a chance to be awesome though pure luck. 

For instance.. 

"The Kid" Character in a moment of panic picks up a shard of metal off the ground and stabs at his attacker..   
He has a strength of 2 and a melee of 1, plus the shard makes it a 3.. 
he rolls his D4.   He gets a 4..  he rolls again and gets another 4..  making his total 8.  He stops rolling since his base stat is 2.
I used to have this in the system.
However, it ended up with those with low dice frequently getting 5-8 more often than those with higher dice.
(I used to have unlimited maxrolls, though, i think the record was set at 12 8's on a D8 roll ..... )
That is why i added KI - Exhaustion instead.

And yes, "anything goes" may be great great .... unless a player or several goes power-tweaking.

DarkHawkPro

Catelf

Quote from: DarkHawkPro on May 25, 2011, 08:19:12 AM
How does Ki/Exhaustion work?
Before you roll the damage die, you decides to get a bit exhausted, and notes that.
Then, the damage die is rolled, and you get +1 to this roll for each amount in Ki you have.
Like, if you have 3 Ki, you get +3 to that die.
However, you may still fumble (natural 1) and/or miss (natural 2).

I'm still unsure of how many "Exhaustion" should be available, and the effects of becoming exhausted.
I'm even unsure of if Ki should be an attribute, or an extra value, to be spent instead of exhaustion ....

What i have now, is one of the possible default solutions.

DarkHawkPro

well the function of it seems simple enough, but to determine the best use of it i wonder how often does a character recover their Ki?

Catelf

Quote from: DarkHawkPro on May 25, 2011, 01:49:41 PM
well the function of it seems simple enough, but to determine the best use of it i wonder how often does a character recover their Ki?

Technically, unless i decide for Ki to be an extra value, one don't recover Ki, but recovers from exhaustion ......
I think that it may be best by recovering from one exhaustion by rolling a D20 (or at least a D12), and get equal or below the (unmodified)Body Value.
One only get one try each turn, and cannot do anything else at all that turn.
I think that would suit best ....

Warrior Monk

Looks good so far. I think most of the anime feeling comes from how the GM narrates conflict resolution and social contract in general. It also helps a lot not being specific about distances or physics. I was thinking something about the terror grid. It's all right as it is, but if you like this idea you can use it as you please:

Give each character 3 ways of dealing with the unknown: Stress, Fear and Insanity. Characters will have as many boxes in each one as points they have in Thought, Senses, and Will respectively. The idea is that the fear will affect the characters Senses, Thought and/or Will as it accumulates, not as a penalty but as an specific disorder. And it's up to the players to decide how their character will deal with the fear.

Let's say I've got a character with Thought 3, Senses 2 and Will 4. That will give me 3 boxes in Stress, 2 in Fear and 4 in Insanity.
If the contact with the unknown misteries from beyond isn't direct, perhaps just an strange sound, I can check a Tought box and state "my character disregards the sound as a natural ocurrence, perhaps a native insect"
If it's something more like, an strange distant light in a place where it doesn't belong, with the silhouette of something inhuman, that suddenly vanishes as it wasn't there, the player can check a Fear box and keep going, thinking he's having hallucinations.
If he meets the horror face to face but manages to escape, the experience marks his mind and a Insanity box is checked.

However, each mark changes the character attitude in a different way:
-Taking stress means the character will be short tempered and prone to find arguments to convince himself there's nothing out there in the dark.
-Taking Fear means the character will be jumpy and paranoid, and will see strange shadows everywhere.
-Taking Insanity means the character is starting to accept there are things beyond their wildest nightmares and so their reaction will be as irrational as them.

So players can choose which way they want to deal with it, except when the situation calls for checking all insanity boxes. However some degree of recovery is possible. One insanity box can ve converted in two (or more) fear boxes. One fear box can be converted in two or more stress boxes. And vice-versa.

Ok, I admit it complicates things a little and among good roleplayers it won't be necessary, but it's my 5 cents. Hope it helps.

Catelf

Thank you, Warrior Monk.
..... It's an interesting version of it .. but i can't say it will help me, mainly because the "Terror grid" is complex enough, including all those things.
I also prefer to keep it as simple as possible.
(But still, it's a good idea, ..... but i'd put Will as Stress, and Thought as Insanity instead.
Why?
Thought: Can't explain it = Going insane
Will: Can't handle it = Get stressed.)