[Primetime Adventures] 'Series Reboot'?

Started by Eternally Lost Zeppo, June 16, 2011, 01:34:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eternally Lost Zeppo

Hi, I'm Rob, technically new to the forums even though I think I've had an account here for a while. I've got a question about an idea I'm working on for PTA, and I thought this would be a better place to seek advice on it than RPGnet or elsewhere.

Basically, after talking with some people, I'm planning on using PTA to run a 'series reboot' of Evangelion, along the lines of Battlestar Galactica or Nikita. The Protagonists will most likely be the same characters as were in the original series, although alternate interpretations of the characters will be allowed (and indeed, encouraged) so long as the group as a whole is comfortable with them. I'll have to come up with a way that characters who did not show up in the original series until about 8-10 episodes in might be included from the start as well, though that's something that can probably be worked out with the players during the Pitch session.

What I'd like to know is, how should I go about directing the Pitch session for a reboot/reimagining of an existing series? What sort of things should be considered, what sort of leading questions would people recommend I ask, etc? The Premise, I'm guessing, would probably remain pretty much the same, though I suppose it might change subtly.

Secondly, what is the maximum number of Protagonists more experienced PTA producers would recommend for a game?

Also, if there are any other tips or pointers anyone might have with regard to this idea, I'd appreciate all the help I can get. Thanks guys! ^_^

Chris_Chinn

Hi,

I ran a PTA game last year, based on a "retake" of the Star Wars prequels.   We did it as, "Imagine the 80's, imagine Star Wars did a TV mini-series, that were a prequel to the movies.   Only the original trilogy is canon, and use none of the movie characters."  The last part worked really well for us, since it meant that no one got caught up on "authenticity" or interpretation of characters.  Also- being clear on what kind of series this was (80's, mini-series) helped us set the tone of visuals and kinds of action to expect.

Right now, it's generally popular with nearly all remakes to make them darker, edgier, but sometimes that isn't actually better or more fun, or, if you're going to do it, figuring out where the line is- BSG reboot is very dark, so you have to ask if that's how you want to take it.

Chris