[TSoY 2nd] Maps of Near

Started by Eero Tuovinen, May 09, 2009, 06:43:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eero Tuovinen

So, we're doing cartography, and I have difficulty finding all the variant maps that've been created for Near. Could anybody link me to any they know of? For example, I just found out by Googling that Harald has a really cool map in the German edition which for some reason I hadn't noticed before. That map captures my irreverent attitude about geography of Near most perfectly. I also know that there is a series of Spanish maps somewhere, but heck if I remember the url to their site anymore.

Also, novel and useful ideas about geography are welcome. What should be changed to make the geography of Near more fun, more useful for a particular campaign, make more sense? Not just shuffling nations around, but other things as well. My new book won't have a one-truth approach to geography, geography not being the point of the game; instead, I want to purvey ideas.
Blogging at Game Design is about Structure.
Publishing Zombie Cinema and Solar System at Arkenstone Publishing.

Yokiboy

I found this map on the same site even cooler, but I like the simple map already in the original TSoY for when I play.

oliof

Eero,
that map is an old preview. Here is my collection:

The original map by Andrew Navaro. I still hold it high in regard.

The original Arkenstone map by you. It showed me that re-interpreting the map of Near is a good thing.

A pseudo political map I once made to explain how I saw the interrelation of the five original cultures of Near. I still use it for reference.

is a more original link to the map that Yokiboy found on my site. It's part of the spanish version of TSoY. The original Salgan al Sol forum where the development of this map was heavily documented unfortunately is down. This map has an especially "real" feel to me; it was created by combining real-world maps for the outlines at least.

One of the first drafts of the new map I comissioned.

The latest version of "my" map. I originally envisaged a more ... filled map, but that plan fell short.

Eero Tuovinen

(Fixed a typo in Harald's post.)

Hah, most excellent! I'll forward these to Jari, we'll see what happens.

Also: a couple of ideas that apparently don't have a graphical representation - I'll write them down so I don't forget them:

• Frank or somebody had an arrangement wherein they moved Khale to the immediate northern side of Maldor. The Khalean forest peninsula they rededicated as a "Zaru homeland". Interesting idea; while I'm not too fond of a huge Ammeni empire (implied by them controlling an "original homeland" and a separate Zaru land as well), I could see using this arrangement if the peninsula were depopulated for some reason. Something like the captivity in Babylon. The alternate position of Khale is the best part.
  • Josh, I think, floated a notion wherein Ammeni and Khale are actually on a separate subcontinent with mainly maritime contact with Maldor and the rest of the continent. I like, somebody should draw a map of this.

oliof

Eero: the change with moving Khale and Zaru is on my pseudopolitical map.

oliof

Eero Tuovinen

Jari made a strange perspective map of Maldor a bit back. It's sort of if Maldor were a miniature and you looked at it from the Eastern Ocean.

Time-consuming to make good maps, though, so right now Jari is sorting other art for the book. I imagine he'll get back to cartography eventually.

As for me, I've been convinced that a Great Steppe lies beyond the Roof of the World. The arguments for it are just too convincing. The evidence for a Torrid Clime somewhere far north keeps building as well.